Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2003 5:10:22 PM EDT
I want to get a speedfeed stock for my winchester, but can't decide if i want a traditional style stock or one with the pistol grip...any opinions?  I find the traditional stock on it rather comfortable, just wondering if the PG stock offers any practical advantages.....
thanks
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 5:17:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a pistol grip/stock on my shotty but changed it back to the standard because the pistol grip was too bulky.

When I took my shotgun class there were a few positions that would have been easier to shoot with the P/G, but not significant enough for me to put one back on.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 6:31:36 PM EDT
[#2]
In some instances you can have better weapon retention with a P/G, and I find them to be a little more comfortable for me.  Plus they're evil looking, and if the new AWB passes will be REALLY EVIL, but crank up the price of my "Pre-Ban-To-Be".  Buy a P/G, Piss off a liberal!

Seriously though, I think it's a little bit more comfortable for me, and as Markm said there are some positions that seem to feel better with a P/G.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 6:53:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I prefer a standard stock on a shotgun, but it's personal preference.

I find the standard stock lets me mount the shotgun faster, and also makes it easier for me to reload.

I've had both and used both, and for me, the standard stock works best.

See if you can have a buddy that has a pistol gripped shotgun for you to try side by side.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 7:35:59 PM EDT
[#4]
My 590 has the Speedfeed shorty PG stock.  I have used in a two shootings.  One live and one less lethal.  I groove on the PG for controlability.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 10:01:06 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
My 590 has the Speedfeed shorty PG stock.  I have used in a two shootings.  One live and one less lethal.  I groove on the PG for controlability.

Mercop, im looking for this same stock for my 590 where did you locat yours?..Thanks, UNDERDOG
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 1:53:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Choate fixed pistol grip stock on my M590.  

The pistol grip gives you much better control when you have to hold the gun with one hand only, such as when you are opening doors with your weak hand, or reloading from a sidesaddle with your weak hand with the buttstock still at the shoulder.

The downside is that it seems to beat my face up a little more than the factory stock.  I'm willing to put up with the beating for the extra amount of control it gives me.

By far, the most comfortable pistol grip stock I've ever tried is the one that comes on Benelli's.  I wish someone would copy its form and sell it for other guns.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 2:17:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I like the Speedfeed stock on my 870.  A full magazine tube and a Surefire make a front heavy gun.  The pistol grip stock makes it much more friendly if you have to use your free hand.  I also think the reduce recoil and muzzle rise a bit.  At least some of the recoil is being absorbed by your hand and arm rather than just your shoulder.  That weight issue also makes one handed shooting suck with a standard stock if you ever practice any wounded arm shooting drills.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 7:15:48 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I like the Speedfeed stock on my 870.  A full magazine tube and a Surefire make a front heavy gun.  The pistol grip stock makes it much more friendly if you have to use your free hand.  I also think the reduce recoil and muzzle rise a bit.  At least some of the recoil is being absorbed by your hand and arm rather than just your shoulder.  That weight issue also makes one handed shooting suck with a standard stock if you ever practice any wounded arm shooting drills.

Sounds like my 870 to be.
Another vote for the speedfeed. I have one on my 870 and love it. My dad followed suit and got one for his 500.

The downside is that it seems to beat my face up a little more than the factory stock.

The exact opposite for me. I stopped getting hit in the face with full 3" magnum slug loads after I switched to the p/g.

Piss off a liberal!

that influences my decision making process more and more with each passing day.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top