Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2003 6:12:11 PM EDT
AIM has this and it looks pretty sweet, what do you think? I might want to buy it!

Brand New! Model UCN 1201, High quality 12GA Pump Action Shotgun Manufactured by Norinco utilizing the Ithaca design. Fantastic shotguns featuring: a Matte finish, Synthetic Stock and Forearm, Ghost Ring Sights, Sling Swivels, Heatshield, Bottom Ejection, Dual Slide Rails, and 18.5" Bbl. Accepts both 2 3/4" and 3" Magnum Shells!

Link Posted: 7/23/2003 8:15:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Brolin YL-12, which is the same gun (probably made in the same factory) with a non-tactical wood treatment.

If you get it, replace the magazine spring immediately with one from Wolff.  Also, I had to fiddle with the shell stop to get it to feed reliably.  Now, it is 99.99% reliable, but still fails to extract once in a while.  

Also, I found out the hard way that parts aren't interchangeable with the Ithaca 37 like I thought they might be.  I haven't tried replacing furniture, but the shell stop and associated screws are different.  This may be an issue since the government banned norinco from further imports for 2 years.

Aside from that, I love the way it balances, and it definitely feels more compact and manageable than an 870.

For the money, I'd say it's a good idea if you're looking for something for the range... but be warned that you may have to put some time into making it reliable.  For defense on a budget, you're better off with a Mossberg Maverick or Rem 870 Express Home Defense, although mine is almost reliable enough to where I'd use it for defense if I get the extraction issue worked out.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 3:33:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I would put my money on a used Remington 870 12Ga.  You can pick one of those up at a gun show for $200.  

The 870 was the USMC standard shotgun in the various US Embassy armories all over the world.

Brownells has every conceivable part for the 870 and all the special tools needed to fix it.  I bought mine used 20 yars ago and have never needed a part replaced.  I did put a high vis green follower in it, and mounted a GI sling.

As an added benefit, Jerry Kuhnhausen's book, "The Remington M870 and M1100/11-87" has every bit of information you could ever want to know to kep it shooting.

Norinco may be making a better product now than a few years ago with that bstardized M1A copy they sold here, but we will be at war with the ChiComs soon enough that I don't buy any ChiCom product if I can avoid it.

Can you get parts for it if anything breaks?  I think not, and their metallurgy is not the worlds best.

I would give it a pass and get a used Remington.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 4:03:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I can't agree more with Fuego, no commie-guns. Buy American. MIKE.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 9:21:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Armoredsaing, I'd get one based on price ONLY if it was a truck gun & I had something else along for social situations.

Parts are not available, to my knowledge.  For another $50 bucks, you're into Ithaca beater territory, if you want an Ithaca.  I prefer them over 870's, but that's just my opinion.  For another $75 or so, you're at new Remington express, Winchester Defender, or Mossberg guns...any of which I'd trust all the time.

I wouldn't do it.

-hanko
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top