Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2003 12:45:41 PM EDT
Are flechette shells illegal in the US? I know they're illegal in Illinois. Also, are they currently used by LE or military (I'm assuming not)?
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 12:48:45 PM EDT
[#1]
They're legal.  I know I've seen them at gunshows here in Texas.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 4:23:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Heres a site that sells them....about half way down the page.

www.hi-vel.com/Catalog__15/Specialized_Shotshell_Ammuniti/specialized_shotshell_ammuniti.html

Link Posted: 7/22/2003 9:07:15 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Heres a site that sells them....about half way down the page.

www.hi-vel.com/Catalog__15/Specialized_Shotshell_Ammuniti/specialized_shotshell_ammuniti.html

www.hi-vel.com/Catalog__15/Specialized_Shotshell_Ammuniti/hv_618.jpg

That has got to be some of the most over-priced ammunition I have ever seen!
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 4:43:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks like someone is planning on doing some fishing in a shallow pond.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 10:24:06 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Looks like someone is planning on doing some fishing in a shallow pound.

Not reallyhanks
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 10:47:58 PM EDT
[#6]
A guy brought a few rounds of the exact ammo shown in the picture above.  We tested it on water jugs at 10 feet.  At that range, only 3 flechettes penetrated the front of the milk jug, with one one flechette ending up inside the jug, and two sticking in the outside of the front face of the jug.  None penetrated the back of the jug.  The jug slowly leaked out of the one tiny hole from the flechette that was actually in the jug (the other two holes had flechettes plugging them)

We moved back to 10 yards and shot at a cardboard IDPA target.  Not a single flechette penetrated the cardboard.  Most hit sideways and fell to the ground.

Don't waste your money.  Buy buckshot and slugs.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 9:38:40 AM EDT
[#7]
I tried some out of a SPAS last week. Not sure what manufacturer the flechette rounds were but they went through cardboard and 3/8" plywood behind it.  That was from about 10 yards.  Obviously a big difference from the ones hoss622 has shot.  They could be practical for use in heavy brush if they have enough power.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 9:43:20 AM EDT
[#8]
SNIPERm88--

did yours have any plastic powder as a buffer?
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 5:50:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Im not sure, a buddy of mine brought them.  I will ask him tomorrow what kind they were.  
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 9:20:39 PM EDT
[#10]
i know they had limited use in vietnam but they stoped using them because they would fish hook and land in legs instead of center mass
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top