Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/6/2003 4:22:10 PM EDT
I did a "Search" and only found one post with one reply about shotgun heat shields over the past six months.

I would like some more input from anyone who has an opinion on them.

I plan on buying some add on's from Brownells to make my 870 more like a Wilson Combat Scattergun.  But.................I don't know if I need a heat shield.  

I've burned my leg once 30 years ago as a extra rider on the motorcycles exhaust pipe.  Never did that again.  I guess if I am dumb enough to keep grabbing the barrel after shooting the shotgun then I need a heatsheild.

Link Posted: 7/6/2003 4:28:37 PM EDT
[#1]

Yes, if you grab the hot barrel, then you need a heatshield.  They can also help if you roll the shotgun over in your hand to do a quick reload and keep shooting.

Tac-star is a highly rated brand for add on stuff.  Though if you don't want to pay Brownell's prices, you may want to look into Arizonagunrunners.  They've got the lowest prices on stuff from what I could find anyway.  Don't know how good their service is.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 4:43:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 12:57:44 PM EDT
[#3]
hey RAMBOSKY,I argee with Tango27,the heatshield protects your hand and your barrell from damage.There are some great books like "Fighting Shotguns 1978","US Combat shotguns 1993",that covers this topic in a practical manner.I have a Benelli Tactical that has one and a M1014 thats gonna get one.A heatshield on a shotgun is not just for show, but also for GO. seeya M1014
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 12:55:13 PM EDT
[#4]
GET ONE.  They really do help, both aesthetically and functionally.  They really take a shotgun over the top to make it look mean and they do protect the hand from that nasty heat I get when I unload my 590 on old computer monitors.  I bought all of mine at www.gunaccessories.com.  These are the best that I have found because they are polymer, a lot better than the metal one that came with my 590 that was almost as bad as touching hot barrel.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 12:56:50 PM EDT
[#5]
While we are all here and on the subject, does anyone know if a heatshield will work on an 870 in conjunction with the Knight's Armament 870 RAS?  It seems, in appearance mind you, that it attaches via the top of the receiver, as any optics mount would on a shotgun.  Any ideers?
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 1:06:09 PM EDT
[#6]
purely cosmetic.

I have one on a tactical 20" 870.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 4:35:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Try running about 40-50 rounds of buck through an 870 or Mossy shooting from odd positions behind cover, prone, firing fast and reloading as and when you are able, on a warm day or night and you will see what the heat shield is for. Mostly, for more casual shooting, or firing only the ammo load in the shotgun, then transitioning to the handgun, it is cosmetic. Its' value depends upon your projected need for the gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top