Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/5/2003 10:30:08 PM EDT
I own a Benelli Nova 18.5" 12G Ghost Ring model, it is the home defense weapon. Now this concern has nothing to do with practicality of the ammo and my needs for it just if it will work and not damage the shotgun.

From time to time I pick up some of the more potent rounds available just to shoot it and see the destructive power of it on cans,objectives,watermellons,etc. I picked up these Remingtion Premier Copper Solid Sabot Slugs.

After I purchased them I notice some warning disclamer that reads

"THis ammunition is designed for use in fully rifled barrels or rifle choke tubes only. Barrel damage or serious injury may occur if this ammunition is fired in fixed or screw-in full, modified or improved cylinder chokes."

Now my 18" barrel is a smooth bore , since it reads for "rifled barrels only" does that mean the smooth bore is out of the question or just choked barrels?

Even though it is designed for rifled barrels will it hurt my shotgun to shoot just them 5 shells throught it? Does anyone make sabot slugs for smooth bore barrels? I DO NOT NEED THIS AMMO, its just for my info only.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 1:40:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, using a sabot in a non-rifled barrel really tosses the accuracy out the window.  They are made specifically for rifled barrels, the sabot wont spin the slug without rifling, which is different than a regular slug.

And you can shoot them in a straight smoothbore cylinder (no choke) barrel.  The problem is with any other type of choke, the sabot doesnt take well to the choke reducing barrel diameter.  
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 6:24:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Figured the end result would be affected negatively due to the smooth bore. I am not using them for important targets just cause they are some mean looking rounds. As long as they can fire out of the shotgun without damage being place on it , thats fine with me. If I ever "need" some real affective slugs I will get the standard kind.

THanks.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 12:06:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Eno45, After reading your post I ran down stairs into the bunker and checked the ammo locker. I have several boxes of Copper Solids that I bought when the stuff first came out and it did not have the warning but the newer stuff that I bought last year does! Wow! Even old farts like me who think they know everything learn something new every day.

Well to answer your question I have shot Copper Solids in fixed choke barrels several times without any problems. But it was a total waste of time because they shot like shit! They shoot great in my rifled barrels in both the 870 and the 1100.

If blowing up stuff is your goal then you should look at the Remington Slugers. The 12 gauge copper solids in 2 3/4" start out at 1450 FPS and 2040 foot lbs of energy. The 12 gauge copper solids in 3" are rated at 1550 FPS and 2331 foot lbs. The regular Sluggers 12 gauge 2 3/4" are 1560 FPS and 2361 foot lbs, 3" 1760 FPS and 3005 foot lbs. The high velocity Slugers 12 gauge 2 3/4" are 1800 FPS and 2751 foot lbs, 3" are 1875 FPS and 2989 foot lbs. MIKE.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 5:15:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Not to mention that they are alot cheaper.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 7:21:41 PM EDT
[#5]
for home defense short range rules apply.  nothing beats a 3" 1-1/4 ounce foster for muzzle energy chamberable in most shotguns.  The only one that might is a 1-3/8 ounce lightfield.  The trajectory will not matter in room to room fighting, but becareful which direction the neighbors are, those heavy slugs seem to ignore walls......hence the lower power tact loads.  I'd be loading heavy with fosters.  Same thing goes for bear defense, more muzzle energy = better, you won't be firing unless you want to absolutely stop anything in front of the muzzle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top