Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/25/2003 9:37:31 PM EDT
Did you know in Northern Ireland they are hunting Foxes with .410 slugs.  Of course not, why would you?  (Do you remember the days when minimum wage was $2 an hour but a fox pelt was worth $70 and a coon $30 to $40.)

Did you know the .410 is called the 36 gauge.  Probably not, you uncultured heathens.

Did you know Marlin is now making a lever action .410

Some guys are hand loading a buckshot load with 6 pellets.

There is a slug called a roundball slug that is used in .410 and 28 gauge.

This and more usefull (?) info on the .410 can be found here.  www.4-10.freeuk.com/index.html

Link Posted: 6/26/2003 6:43:13 AM EDT
[#1]
z, It is my understanding that the .410 = 67 gauge. Winchester offers .410 buckshot loads that are loaded with three 000 pellets. You can get them on www.cheaperthandirt.com. I bought some in a gun shop but have not patterned them yet. I have four .410's. A older Stevens bolt action with a box magazine and a full choke. A Mossberg 500 youth with a 24" full choke plain barrel, a 18" cylinder bore plain barrel and a pistol grip. A Remington 870 Express with a 25" full choke vent rib barrel. And lastly a Remington 1100 with a 3" only chamber and 25" modified choke vent rib barrel. I love my .410's. MIKE.  
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 2:37:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Well Mike, our English friends call it 36 gauge, or also fourten.

Hey, there is also a single shot, fully suppressed .410, I think it was the "husher"  They make a 12 gauge too.  I also saw some very large slugs for handloading, american made,  around 140 grain versus 90+ grains for typical slug.  That site has all kinds of 410 info and links.

Do they still make the 1100 in .410?
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 4:04:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Z, Thanks a lot for that link, what a good site. Boy do you feel sorry for those poor bastards, they can't own shit! Two great articles about the fourten! Thank GOD I can't buy a surpressed .410, I get in enough trouble with .22 CB's in my backyard!

Yes the 1100 in .410 is offered as a special run each year for the past couple of years. Not listed in the catalog. It only comes with a 3" only chamber and a fixed modified choke. They are not cheep I paid almost $700.00 for mine. You can find them listed on gunsamerica.com. I am looking for a skeet barrel chambered for 2 1/2" shells so that I can use skeet loads. I only found one and the guy wants $300.00 dollars. They are scarce as hens teeth. MIKE.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 4:34:47 AM EDT
[#4]
That is what I thought about the 1100.  I should have bought one years ago along with a small Spanish Double barrel I wanted.

I think I also noticed the minimum barrel  length in England was 24" or 25".  Can you imagine walking around with a single barrel shiotgun as yoru primary gun for home defense adn field use.  What a load of crap.  That is what we have to watch out for in this country.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 10:44:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Z, There are so many guns "we should have bought" along with land, houses cars etc.....

Fifteen years ago I bought a Spanish 28 gauge SXS marketed under a British name, can't remember at this time, what a POS. Kept it for a couple of years, got it fixed several times, got rid of it.

If a gun ban like the one in England was enacted banning Semi's and Pumps I would have exactly two guns left. A single shot 12 gauge and a kids single shot .22 rifle. I would loose everything else. MIKE.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top