Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/22/2003 6:21:52 PM EDT
Hey,
I'm going to get a new 12 gauge shotgun soon and I was wondering what gun I should get, a Benelli Nova or a Rem. 870. I'll be huntting ducks and turkeys alot with it so I think I need a gun that will take a 3 1/2 shell. Do I need a 3 1/2 gun? I had a Benell Nova 20 gauge and I liked it alot but I've heard a lot of good stuff about 870s so tell me what you think.thanks
Jesse
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 6:30:40 PM EDT
[#1]
If you had a Nova before, and you want it for hunting get another Nova. I don't think there's any copetition there, especially in your case. Its a gun you're already comfortable with.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:30:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Jesse, I have shot the Remington 870 super mag, the Mossberg 835 ulti-mag and the Benelli. I think the Remington handles the best, the Mossberg recoils the least with 3 1/2" shells, and the Benelli is the lightest. If I were going to shoot a lot of 3 1/2" shells the Mossberg with the ported barrel and backboring would win. Handling, coupled with the best assortment of barrels, chokes and stocks, the Remington would be my choice. But I own an obscene number of 870's.

Do you need the 3 1/2"? That's a hard question. For turkeys I do great with 3" shells but I still want the 3 1/2" capability so it is on my list. MIKE.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:19:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I shoot and love 870's BUT.......I am considering a Nova 12 gauge for ducks.  I like the extensive use of polymer and the one piece stock/receiver for mud and rain.  The shell cutoff button makes for easier loading/unloading in the field.  Also, I like to change how my gun handles by carrying various loads, that cutoff button really makes it easy to quickly switch loads.  I really wish Remington would add a cutoff button.

Have you forgotten how easy it is to add a recoil reducer to the Nova 12 gauge  www.benelliusa.com/parts/parts2.cfm

This will add weight and reduce recoil when using those big dog 3 1/2" loads.  I think the one piece polymer receiver and stock would be more effective at transfering recoil to the reducer as well (just my opinion).  I talked my brother in to buying one since he does not have any 870's and does not like how Mossbergs fit him.  I am looking forward to shooting it next month.

But for me, the fit of an 870 with a 28" barrel is hard to beat
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 6:44:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Jesse123, I think everyone should own an 870. It has to be one of the best guns ever made. However i have heard of the 3 1/2" not functioning properly. A buddy of mine was having trouble with his feeding a round before the spent shell was ejected.For ducks and geese i shoot 2 3/4" model 12 Winchesters and a 3" Beretta 390 that is my favorite. If you center the bird in your pattern and have your shot and chock matched you may not feel the need for the long shell- even for geese. Good hunting
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:34:33 PM EDT
[#5]
The 3 1/2 became out of a need for payload space when trying to launch light bulky steel shot.  Unless you plan to shoot a lot of steel shot you might as well go with a 3 inch gun, which is usually lighter and more pleasant to shoot.  If you are into recoil therapy just launch a three inch 2ounce lead or hevi shot turky load.  That will pound you just like a 3 1/2 will.  Just my 2 cents.  P.S. I hit more ducks with 2 3/4 hevi shot than I ever did with 3 1/2 inch steel.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:49:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Remington 870 Police or Wingmaster - American made STEEL.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 8:26:06 PM EDT
[#7]
thanks for the help guys. I think I'm going to go with a 3 in. 870. I can just get the hevi shot when I need it.
Jesse~
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 1:31:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Jesse123, Wise move! I think I am suffering from 3 1/2" itus. I have been hunting for over thirty years and never needed a 3 1/2" load but have convinced myself as of late that there is a void in my life that the 3 1/2" will heal. Therapy or the purchase of a SP-10 will fix my condition.

The 870 Express with a 3" chamber can be outfitted with at least a dozen different barrels a dozen chokes. Enjoy! MIKE.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top