Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/12/2003 2:29:38 AM EDT
Several years ago my grandfather gave me his Remington Sportsman 48, 12 ga, 28 in. full choke.  I have not seen another one like it since.  It is semi-auto gas operated.  It likes high brass loads, will not cycle game loads on a consistent basis.  Just looking for anyone who can give me a little more info on it. Value, rarity, etc.  By no means do I plan on parting with it for obvious reasons.  Just looking for some info on it.
Thanks.
The Man in Tan
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 9:26:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Manintan,
The Mod 48 Sportsman was made 1949 - 1959. Remington made around 275000 of this model.

According to the Remington Field Service Manual, the 48 Sportsman is a recoil operated shotgun, not gas operated. That is the reason it won't cycle standard loads.

There are a few of these guns floating around, but very few parts. The 11-48 parts will interchange, but they are scarce too.

Thanks and enjoy your gun.
Lee

www.thearmsroom.com
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 4:42:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Lee,
Thank you for taking the time to provide the information as well as the correction on the operating system.  Not sure where I got the notion of the gas operation, grandad may have told me that.  
Funny, there was a time when it was the only shotgun I had and hunted even dove with it.  It made me a better shot using that long barrel with full choke to knock down dove and quail.  Since then I have aquired a few more shotguns so it pretty much stays in the safe.
Unfortunately, grandad stored it for a long time wrapped up in a blanket in the attic and it had a little surface rust on the bluing and the bolt.
Again, thanks for all the info.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top