Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/27/2003 9:25:01 AM EDT
I just picked up a used Beretta 1200P, 12 gauge.  It seems to have WAY too much recoil.  I expected it to kick quite a bit more than gas operated guns but it kicks more than any pump 12 gauge that I've ever shot.

Anybody got any ideas?  Is it possible that it was reassembled wrong?  It functions with high brass birdshot, slugs, and buckshot.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 9:48:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Solothurn, Recoil operated shotguns kick! The gun is using you as a cinder block wall to push against to operate the gun. Trade that sucker in for a Winchester X2, Remington 1100 Competition Master or the new Beretta gas gun 1004 or something. MIKE.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 2:41:28 PM EDT
[#2]
While I don't personally own a Bererra 1200/1201, I know several people who do own them. They ALL complain about the recoil. The gun is very light, and if you feed it high base loads, it is going to produce some recoil. I wonder if one of the mercury filled "recoil reducers" might help tame your 1200? You might also look into the possibility of having barrel magna-ported or something similar.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 3:21:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a 1200FP and an hour shooting slugs at steel targets usually leaves me weary...  But, it is light and a pleasure to carry in the field with slugs for deer. The aftermarket commercial recoil reducers will help, but appreciate the fact you have a super light gun that will eat anything you put in it.

Luv those enertia actions...

-Joe

Link Posted: 6/8/2003 7:38:07 AM EDT
[#4]
"They all do that, sir." :)

My 1201 Riot kicks like a mule (especially with slugs). Most of my buddies complain about it, but I think it's fun. That's the price we pay for such a lightweight weapon, I guess.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 11:12:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I am not sure how having the barrel backbored would affect your particular guns action, but it is one thing you can do.

Another might be to look at those new recoil pads made by Limb Saver.  Remington is using them on some of their guns as an OEM part.  I am going to get one for a project gun to try it out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top