Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2003 8:12:19 PM EDT
Found some on my 870 near the bead site and on the site , what should I do!!!
THANKS GUYS....
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 10:26:43 PM EDT
[#1]
0000 steel wool and a little gun oil will remove the rust. If you use cold blue after the rust is removed, be careful. Make sure you oil the hell out of the cold blue once it is applied, or the cold blue will cause more rust than you had to start with.

Thanks,
Lee
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 10:29:09 PM EDT
[#2]
that 870 is one tuff motha!  nice gun!  

what barrel length?
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 12:16:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Sentry Solutions to prevent it in the future.  Great stuff.  

Unless its pitted it, CLP will remove it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 5:42:43 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
that 870 is one tuff motha!  nice gun!  

what barrel length?

It's 18 inches ...and it's only two years old don't know what's up ? will rem do anything for me ?
thanks guys...
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 6:03:32 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
will rem do anything for me ?
thanks guys...

Do anything about what? A rust spot? You are kidding right?

Rub it with a little oil on a rag. That will clean it off. Keep it oiled in the future to prevent any more.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 10:49:07 AM EDT
[#6]
use KROIL on it.  It is magical stuff.

Kroil will actually get under the rust and raise it out of the metal.  Without knowing how extensive your rust is, if it is only minor you may be able to remove it with out any real damage to the blue. I had a small spot on a beater barrel that I removed with kroil and heavy pressure with my fingernail and then a small blade, it left no mark on the blue.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 8:51:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Finishes like parkerizing do not prevent rust, they hold oil, which is an oxygen barrier. On the other hand bluing is a slow rust process which prevents further oxidization of the metal.

Is your shotgun matte? "Not Shiney" or blued? "Kinda shiney black/blue"

My bet is that you cleaned your gun really well and didnt re-oil. A little rust DOES NOT mean that there is something wrong with your gun so there is no reason to even contact Remington, unless you want to try some of their name brand oil.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 9:01:42 PM EDT
[#8]
OH AND REMEMBER WD40 IS NOT OIL!!!!!! It holds water very well.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 1:02:42 PM EDT
[#9]
if it blued try blue wonder.

http://www.novumsolutions.com/default.html

guys over at rimfirecentral are raving about it.

earlybirdnj
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 2:52:59 AM EDT
[#10]
thanks , who hit me back !!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top