Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2003 6:18:17 PM EDT
Last weekend I was holding a Tactical Shotgun clinic at my gun club.  At the end of the day, we were patterning our guns with buckshot at various ranges, and one of the shooters said that he had 3 rounds of flechette ammo he wanted to try.  I wasn't expecting to be impressed, but I have to say that this stuff didn't even meet my considerably low expectations.

He fired the first round at a plastic gallon jug filled with water at about 10 feet.  This resulted in two punctures in the jug (one side only) with a third flechette sticking into the outside, but not fully penetrating the front of the jug.

We thought maybe he needed to step back a little bit so that the flechettes would have a chance to stabilize.  The second shot was fired at about 10 yards on an IDPA target.  A few of the flechettes made impressions (sideways) and a couple were actually stuck in the cardboard.  No complete penetrations of the cardboard.

Stepping back to 20 yards gave the same result, but less hits.

The bottom line:  don't waste your money on this silly ammo ($10 for 3 rounds).  It isn't even worth the "novelty value".
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 6:37:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the report, Hoss.  I used to think that flachettes would be devastating against someone wearing light clothing, but I guess I was very wrong.  Thanks for saving me the money!

-Nick Viejo.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 9:17:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Hell, yes thanks for the info. Although I don't have a "riot" or "tactical" gun I keep my 12 ga loaded with 00Buck..I know noe one's going ot argue with that shit! I guess they were just just a novelty afterall. BTW I have a great idea to stabilize them...
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 9:25:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, the Fleschette shells are only good for stupid shotgun tricks. But only use them at END of the gun day.  Otherwise dudes will be collecting up the little darts for stealthy placement in seat cushions, car seats, and anywhere else you can think of...  and you'll be picking these things out of your ass all day.    
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 10:41:10 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Yeah, the Fleschette shells are only good for stupid shotgun tricks. But only use them at END of the gun day.  Otherwise dudes will be collecting up the little darts for stealthy placement in seat cushions, car seats, and anywhere else you can think of...  and you'll be picking these things out of your ass all day.    

Firsthand experience eh? What "tricks" can you do with them?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top