Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/1/2003 3:07:34 AM EDT
I was in the process of altering the size of the front sight hole on my Mossberg 590.  I was facilitating the hole to accept a larger threaded night sight.

Well, I screwed up and made the hole too big.

How do I correct this?  I currently have no front sight and an open hole in the front of the barrel.

Thanks for any help.

Link Posted: 4/1/2003 11:10:05 AM EDT
[#1]
How much too big? You can work wonders with some of the new adhesives out there, but in this case it might also be necessary to bush-up the sight post first with some sort of material such as fine copper wire, etc. Also, Brownell's sells bead sights of many different sizes, although this won't allow use of your current n.s. front post. I might just resort to a good gunsmith here, since you already have the investment in the sight.
Link Posted: 4/11/2003 10:54:14 AM EDT
[#2]
If you have a tap 'n' die set you could just re-thread the hole an thread a piece of brass round stock to fill the hole. just be careful that the it is flush with the bore or you could creat even more problems!
Link Posted: 4/13/2003 11:27:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Since it will just be holding a bead and not really under a lot of stress, you might try filling the hole with Brownell's Acra-Weld epoxy or JB Weld, let it set up, and then re-tap the hole.  I know others who have had good luck doing that.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 3:12:52 AM EDT
[#4]
I appreciate all the advice.  I went with the JB Weld.  Thank you!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top