Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2002 9:47:49 AM EDT
i am a 44 year old, right-handed, lifelong shooter/hunter. due to a recent accident i no longer have use of my right eye.  i've figured out a couple of solutions to my desire to shoot a rifle from right shoulder using left eye, but am still working on the best solution for a shotgun. any ideas? thanks.
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 8:37:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Have you considered shooting off your left shoulder?  I'm right-handed, but left-eye dominent, and I shoot long guns mostly off my left shoulder.   It takes a little getting use to, but its very doable.  That's really my only sugestion, though!
dp  
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 11:57:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Tjohnson,
Depending upon the shotgun model and your budget, a custom stock may be a viable answer.

You are looking for a stock that has an excessive (for most shooters) amount of "cast-off".  "Cast" is expression for the alignment of the stock with the barrel when viewed from above.  "Cast-on" bends the stock toward the shooter, "Cast-off" takes the stock further from the shooter

When a stock is designed with more 'cast-off', it will bring your face more to the right (as a right handed shooter) and thus place your left eye more inline with the barrel.

DPCOP has a valid suggestion as well, and I have two friends that have learned to shoot "wrong-handed" with good success. One was left handed in a world of right handed guns, the other was a right hander that lost his right eye.  Takes awhile though, don't be impatient (I know thats tough, I'm 45 myself).

Sorry to hear of your injury and good luck.
Ed
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 4:36:40 PM EDT
[#3]
thanks to you both.

someday i may learn to shoot left-handed; right now i'm dealing with enough changes as it is, so i'm hopeful of figuring out a right-handed/left-eyed solution.

i think the cast-off stock is how i will try to solve my wing-shooting dilemma.  coincidentally, this month's Shooting Sportsman issue has a good aarticle about this kind of custom stock.

as usual, i'm helped by thoughtful, caring people.

thanks.
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 12:15:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Your situation got me thinking....

Here is something you may want to try.  Go to the skeet range and stand by the low house and shoot 25 birds, all going away from you.  The key being to focus on taking the same shot every time so you can see what you have to do to compensate with a normaly stocked gun.

Then move two positions and shoot the same angle bird again.  25 birds moving from your right to left, technically the easiest swing for you to make since you are right handed.

I would be curious as to what the outcome of this drill would be.  So curious I may try it soemtime myself with an eye patch.

Link Posted: 8/30/2002 10:33:00 PM EDT
[#5]
You might try a red dot.If you can see the dot ypur looking in the same plane of sight as the barrel.Maybe a accudot on the rib.
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 4:19:53 AM EDT
[#6]
if a red dot sight might work, how about a holosight?
Link Posted: 9/2/2002 10:50:27 AM EDT
[#7]
I was thinking the accudot because it only weighs an ounce or two.A holo sight would work if you dont mind the bulk.Tasco makes the accudot.
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 6:45:16 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
. . . Here is something you may want to try.  Go to the skeet range and stand by the low house and shoot 25 birds, all going away from you.  The key being to focus on taking the same shot every time so you can see what you have to do to compensate with a normaly stocked gun. . .

Zoub,
I shot a bow poorly for years without having proper form.  I pulled the string back to my temple, to the right of my right eye.

This mistake in form led to my having to compensate (aim to the right) for all shots, similar to your suggestion.
Problem was, that the further the target, the more you must compensate.  Unknown ranges make this really tough.  I missed plenty of otherwise easy shots due to not adjusting my compensation according to range.

I'm not saying it cannot be done, but would suggest a solution requiring less thought.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top