Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » FN
Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2010 9:52:14 AM EDT
I have been contemplating a FN57 purchase for many months. I am not sure why I am continuing to think about it given:

• The price continues to climb while I think about it

• I need another caliber like I need a new hole in my head

• The ammo is not cheap

• The gun is overpriced

• I cannot find a used one for less than the cost of a new one

• I was not partiularily happy with the feel of it when I fondle it at the fun shows

The best deal is at Buds. They have the fixed sight one (C-More) and the adjustable sight one. I cannot figure out why anyone would want a fixed sight over an adjustable. What is the advantage of the C-more?

The $200 military/police discount program would make it more palatable, but I don't qualify. The few used ones I find for sale are more than a new one from Buds.

What is the allure that keeps driving us to this caliber?

Link Posted: 4/12/2010 10:03:43 AM EDT
[#1]

And like you said, the ammo ain't cheap...  Especially the "real" ammo from places like Elite Ammo...

If hot, decent performing ammo was more readily and more cheaply available, i can't say i wouldn't hop on the bandwagon with a FiveSeven and/or a PS90 SBR...

Right now i carry a G29 (10mm) and that's the least mainstream caliber i've got, unless you count 6.8SPC (and the old .284 Win bolt gun in the back of the safe
)

Link Posted: 4/12/2010 10:03:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Your bored and have too much money...Dont buy something just because, if you really want it, get it. Dont let anyone else make up your mind for you. Youve answered all your own questions. Me personally, I stick with mainstream ammo'd guns i.e 9mm, .223, .45acp, .22lr.
Link Posted: 4/12/2010 11:10:17 AM EDT
[#3]
becuase if you ever are over whelmed by rabbits in level II body armor(No only II, IIA wouldnt work without better bullets) you NEED to be able to defend your self?? jsut wait for the kel tec .22 mag pistol, SAME balistics and WAY better price.
Link Posted: 4/12/2010 2:49:26 PM EDT
[#4]
The .22 mag most assuredly does not have the same ballistics of the 5.7 FN round.  Unless  you compare a .22 mag rifle with a 20 odd inch barrel to the 5 inch barreled FiveSeven pistol.

But you go on believing that if it helps you sleep at night.

Link Posted: 4/12/2010 3:03:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

The .22 mag most assuredly does not have the same ballistics of the 5.7 FN round.  Unless  you compare a .22 mag rifle with a 20 odd inch barrel to the 5 inch barreled FiveSeven pistol.

It comes up every five seven thread.

Honestly, it makes it easier to sort out the stupid when they walk into a thread with a sign on.

Link Posted: 4/12/2010 3:03:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

When Kel-Tech starts selling their 22mag pistol in quantity, you will see ammo optimized for it within a few months.

Just like the 410 ammo made for the Judge.
Link Posted: 4/12/2010 6:16:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Why would I want to talk you out of buying a 5.7????????????????????

I have had mine for six years (when they were selling for $850) and don't regret buying it for a second.
MadDog
Link Posted: 4/12/2010 6:39:29 PM EDT
[#8]
July will make two years for me.
I don't regret it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2010 6:54:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

When Kel-Tech starts selling their 22mag pistol in quantity, you will see ammo optimized for it within a few months.

Just like the 410 ammo made for the Judge.

The .22 mag doesn't have the case capacity to match the velocity and pressure of the 5.7, you would have to have magic dust in there to load the .22mag that far above SAAMI standard, and no manufacturer would risk the consequences of that.
Link Posted: 4/12/2010 7:01:51 PM EDT
[#10]

Meh...just get a PS90.
Link Posted: 4/12/2010 7:11:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Use the money for a professional training class.

Link Posted: 4/12/2010 9:48:48 PM EDT
[#12]
How much would you pay for an unfired USG model, (black) with 3-20 round mags, 2-20 round mags, the box, papers, cleaning kit and about 400 rounds of ammo? PM me if you like.
Link Posted: 4/13/2010 5:37:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Why does someone always say stupid shit like "Use the money to take professional training classes"???  How do you know he hasn't taken a professional training class?  How do you know he just wants another pistol in a non-traditional caliber?  I have been shooting for 40 years, have taken numerous professional training classes, have CCW'd in numerous states (that have allowed) for the past 15 years, and purchased my 5.7 because I wanted to add a pistol to my collection in a caliber other then what I already had.  Why should I or anyone else be limited to the good old 22lr/22mag, 38/357 mag, 380, 9mm, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP (all of which I already own)?

The OP already knows the down side as he listed most of the objections people have.  I think his statement "talk me out of it" was in jest and really wanted to know why people still buy the Five-seveN and not why he should "take a professional training class".

Rant Over,
MadDog
Link Posted: 4/13/2010 6:43:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Well....this will be WAY cheaper, get cheaper as time goes, used ones will be cheaper than new....ammo is cheaper and probably as powerful....capacity is not lacking....

Link Posted: 4/13/2010 7:51:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
becuase if you ever are over whelmed by rabbits in level II body armor(No only II, IIA wouldnt work without better bullets) you NEED to be able to defend your self??
Level IIA protection is one step below Level II, not one step above it.

Quoted:
jsut wait for the kel tec .22 mag pistol, SAME balistics and WAY better price.
Kel-tec estimates a muzzle velocity of ~1200 fps from the PMR-30, using a 40 grain bullet. EA 5.7x28mm cartridges are pushing heavier bullets at nearly double that velocity.

Link Posted: 4/13/2010 9:03:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
How much would you pay for an unfired USG model, (black) with 3-20 round mags, 2-20 round mags, the box, papers, cleaning kit and about 400 rounds of ammo? PM me if you like.

PM and email sent. Wish you were more local, would like to try and work out a deal.

I have found a couple of people local selling them. Problem is, they want more for their used ones than I can buy a brand new one from Bud's. I understand no one wants to take a hit but as long as they are still being manufactured,and available why would some one in their right mind pay more for a used one than a brand new one? I suppose they just were told buy the wifey to sell something so they are selling it, but not very hard. "Honey, the economy sucks and no one is willing to make an offer so I'll just keep it."
Link Posted: 4/16/2010 10:03:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
becuase if you ever are over whelmed by rabbits in level II body armor(No only II, IIA wouldnt work without better bullets) you NEED to be able to defend your self?? jsut wait for the kel tec .22 mag pistol, SAME balistics and WAY better price.

ROFL, I can definately see the confusion there  

As for cost, $20 per 50 is on par with most ammo (asside from Russian crap) and the $1 per round for HD/SD ammo from EA is better than most other performance ammo.  Of course, I reload mine so asside from the occasional case of ammo or 1k of brass, I really don't spend much on it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2010 10:47:33 AM EDT
[#18]
"Help Talk me out of a FN 57"

It's Not 10mm.
Link Posted: 4/16/2010 7:25:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
"Help Talk me out of a FN 57"

It's Not 10mm.

heh, I would love a carbine class in the size and weight of the MP 5/10, especially if it could handle regular poundings with full house 10mm loads.  But thats another thread  ;)
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 12:50:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Sold my Five seveN IOM around Christmas, not because I needed to, but because I dont need it.  Think I used the money on ammo or something dont remember, but it really never filled any void in my safe other than paperweight and novelty.  Only 9mm Glocks in my stable, everything else (handguns) is finding a new home.
Page Handguns » FN
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top