Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » FN
Posted: 7/24/2009 9:25:12 AM EDT
I turn 21 this coming month and will be buying a CCW.  I really liked the FNP pistols I checked out but was wondering if they are too big for carry?

Would you get 9mm or .40 in the FN?  The .45 just looked too big to carry at all...
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 4:36:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Carry choices are extremely personal, much like buying one's own clothes. What fits and/or hides well can & does vary greatly across the line from gun owner to gun owner. Much like shoes, one size doesn't fit all, IOW.

Getting back to your original question, the size specs can be found on the FN-USA web site. Barrel length, grip size, etc. should all be found there to allow you a bit more scientific comparasion from .45acp to the smaller calibers.

Speaking the obvious, one's body size & shape also plays greatly into what works for each individual. One guy may be able to hide a fullsize .45 & another can't hit the same gun if his life depended on it, IOW.

Generally speaking, a model in 9mm/.40 cal will normally be a bit smaller than a .45acp in a double stack mag configuration. OTOH, many shooters won't CCW anything other than a .45acp based on the caliber's history of performance. This isn't to say that one won't be well served with a 9mm +P (for example).

FWIW, *I* vote for the 9mm over the .40 due to much lower ammo costs in practice ammo. I buy my 9mm from GA Arms, an arfcom sponsor. Their 1000rd packs allow for about THE most economical shooting short of reloading. Their ammo is 1st class as well.

Hope this helps!
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 7:21:53 PM EDT
[#2]
You can conceal an FNP in 9/40 or 45.  Obviously the bigger it gets the more you have to work at concealing.  Overall you need a good concealment holster and a good gun belt.  WIth those things it can be done.
Page Handguns » FN
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top