Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » FN
Posted: 5/17/2022 9:50:09 PM EDT
Found a second hand 509 Midsize and shot it really well, so it stayed with me. My first FN gun ever.

I have 2 15 rd mags and my search is showing limited midsize mags. Lots of standard 17 rd and compact mags. Any good leads on where to pick up a couple mags?

Question is that the Compact 15 round mag is apparently the same as the 15 rd midsize maag except that it has the "sleeve" installed.
If it is the same mag, can the sleeve be removed to make it a standard midsize flush mount mag?

Also, I do not yet have any of the paperwork(manual, etc). I have not tried to break it down yet to clean it. Is it a similar breakdown procedure as other models that have a lever, or is there any special steps.

It is factory milled for an optic. Do I need any special mounting plates... or what RDS fits well.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 10:00:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: d16man] [#1]
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 10:38:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cdholmes] [#2]
Originally Posted By lizARdman15:
Found a second hand 509 Midsize and shot it really well, so it stayed with me. My first FN gun ever.

I have 2 15 rd mags and my search is showing limited midsize mags. Lots of standard 17 rd and compact mags. Any good leads on where to pick up a couple mags?

Question is that the Compact 15 round mag is apparently the same as the 15 rd midsize maag except that it has the "sleeve" installed.
If it is the same mag, can the sleeve be removed to make it a standard midsize flush mount mag?

Also, I do not yet have any of the paperwork(manual, etc). I have not tried to break it down yet to clean it. Is it a similar breakdown procedure as other models that have a lever, or is there any special steps.

It is factory milled for an optic. Do I need any special mounting plates... or what RDS fits well.
View Quote

The Compact and Midsize 15 round mags are the same, just remove the sleeve to use with the Midsize.

Check out Midwest Gun Works also.  Parts are usually a little cheaper at MGW vs. the EStore.

The red dot mounting plates can also be found at MGW.  Here is an optics mounting guide.  https://vavqj34csem437aom2bekqda-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/1908_Quick_Setup_Reference_Guide_FN_OPTICS_MOUNTING_final.pdf

ETA: Here is a PDF copy of the 509 manual.
https://vavqj34csem437aom2bekqda-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/04142021-1906_FN_509-OM_66-100498_R1_.pdf
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 8:30:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lizARdman15] [#3]
Had to check whether I posted this in the SC HTF.

Thanks for the info.

My gun is in the varying shades of FDE, but black mags will work fine.

Am I correct in understanding that if I buy a 24 rd mag, it comes with the sleeves to fit any of the guns.

Also, @cdholmes, if I can remove the sleeve on the 15 rd compact, is it a matter of just pulling it off or will it need any other alteration?
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 12:27:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I never really cared for the 509 series until I shot one and that changed my mind. They make a fine weapon and the 509 does not disappoint. Congrats on the pistol.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 12:49:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By lizARdman15:
Had to check whether I posted this in the SC HTF.

Thanks for the info.

My gun is in the varying shades of FDE, but black mags will work fine.

Am I correct in understanding that if I buy a 24 rd mag, it comes with the sleeves to fit any of the guns.

Also, @cdholmes, if I can remove the sleeve on the 15 rd compact, is it a matter of just pulling it off or will it need any other alteration?
View Quote

All you have to do is slide off the sleeve.  The baseplates are the same.

The 24rd mags do not come with all the sleeves, just the one that is advertised on the magazine.  You can buy the sleeves separately though.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 6:25:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: purple85gt] [#6]
Now you need a comp’d compact slide, a standard slide, a edge slide and a mid/tac with a comp

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 2:28:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Totally forgot to post a pic!!

Here it is in all its FN beauty

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 4:59:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By cdholmes:

All you have to do is slide off the sleeve.  The baseplates are the same.

The 24rd mags do not come with all the sleeves, just the one that is advertised on the magazine.  You can buy the sleeves separately though.
View Quote

I just purchased a 24rd mag from MGW and it did come with all of the sleeves.
This is the part number 20-100423
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 7:56:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By MisterS:

I just purchased a 24rd mag from MGW and it did come with all of the sleeves.
This is the part number 20-100423
View Quote

Yep, they actually changed since my last response.  They come as a kit now with all of the sleeves for fullsize, midsize and compact.
Link Posted: 8/28/2022 4:05:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Anyone have the 509 M Tactical?  I felt one at the NRA convention this year, and it was a great size, and the shorter grip section really made it feel better than the full size.
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 3:16:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By purple85gt:
Now you need a comp’d compact slide, a standard slide, a edge slide and a mid/tac with a comp

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/112911/BAA757CE-1127-46E8-A4A2-8D8AE4C04E75_jpe-2388696.JPG
View Quote

Just starting to look into the 509 and curious where does one find these various slides for sale?
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 10:53:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By 1stID:
Anyone have the 509 M Tactical?  I felt one at the NRA convention this year, and it was a great size, and the shorter grip section really made it feel better than the full size.
View Quote

I made my own
Had a 509 Tactical and bought a 509 Midsize and then swapped slides.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 6:32:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rh1030] [#13]
Originally Posted By lazar:

I made my own
Had a 509 Tactical and bought a 509 Midsize and then swapped slides.
View Quote

Can you run any slide on the full size frame? I thought that was doable. I have a CC Edge and was messing with that slide on my Tactical frame and it seems to function fine. I haven't shot it yet. I loved the feel of the CC Edge slide on the full size frame. Interesting, the CC Edge slide on the tactical frame makes the stock tactical trigger so much better. Makes me want another fullsize frame just for that slide!
Page Handguns » FN
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top