Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » FN
Posted: 3/16/2022 1:36:13 PM EDT
Anyone have issues with the base or tactical model 509 mag release? I remember hearing in the past folks had a hard time depressing the mag release fully since it was ambi and the other side of their hand would stop the mag release from fully engaging.
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 12:50:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, I have this problem. Which is one reason why I would never buy a 509, even though I think it's a good gun overall.
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 1:00:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Never had that problem, but switched to an Apex magazine release because it's more ergonomic.
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 12:01:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I had that problem with an original 509 (non-tactical), so I bought a single-sided mag release from Midwest.  https://www.midwestgunworks.com/fn-509-magazine-releases.html

Completely solved my problem.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 7:25:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I have never had this problem but If you don't like the ambi mag release, just buy the apex single sided mag release and call it a day. If you are too cheap for that, take the factory mag release out, shave off the side you dont use with a dremel or belt sander.

I dont understand why people like to make mountains out of mole hills.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 11:22:38 PM EDT
[#5]
It’s not a problem with the mag release. It is a problem with the mags.

The mag is retained in the gun by a little nipple on the mag release. The nipple presses up against a ledge on the mag. Pressing the mag release left or right pushes the nipple off the ledge.

The problem is the ledge isn’t completely flat. So as you push one side of the mag release, it is actually pushing the mag higher up into the gun. To fix it you just file the ledge on the mag flat. Done this on multiple mags and it fixes the problem.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 10:35:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I also ended up getting rid of the ambi mag release. My grip pushed in the release on the right side, especially if activating the X300. Would occasionally drop mags unintentionally while shooting, especially with a fully loaded extendo. Would also push against my hand when purposefully trying to release a mag.
I just switched to the single side mag release from Midwest, fixed the problem.
I also installed an Apex trigger to make it perfect. Eventually ended up installing the HD striker, failure resistant extractor and spring kit for peace of mind even though I didn't have any issues in the first 2k rounds or so.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 10:30:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Zero issues with the mag release.

I have smaller, thinner hands though.

Midsize MRD is my EDC.
Page Handguns » FN
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top