Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » FN
Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2018 6:20:23 PM EDT
I currently have 2 pistols with Trijicon RMR's on them and absolutely love them, and I'm considering getting one for my new 509, but I'm open to considering one of the Vortex options, Does anyone have a Vortex on theirs, and what model, the Razor, Viper, or Venom? I really don't know the differences between the models, so is there a reason to choose one model over another, co-witness height, etc? I'm just getting to get a feel what I should do here. I really don't see, at least for the present time, using my 509 as a carry or self defense gun. It's strictly going to be used as a suppressed "fun gun" to shoot steel and paper. Opinions? Suggestions? Thanks....
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 12:20:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I used my 2+ year old vortex venom when I first got it for about 200 rounds until my RMR came. 0 reliability issues with the red dot and it has thousands of rounds through it on my 19 mos. Only gripe with the venom is that the battery cap sucks and gets stripped easily. Specifically for the 509 tac, it mounted perfectly with the provided plates and screws went deep into the slide, would not hesitate to use the venom full time on it.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 9:21:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a Venom on a G17MOS range/fun gun and haven't had any problems with it. The Venom doesn't have the lock screws for the sight adjustments on the back, one of the other Vortex MRDS does. Thats why I chose the Venom. I will be putting a RMR on my 509T though..
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 10:06:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I currently have 2 pistols with Trijicon RMR's on them and absolutely love them, and I'm considering getting one for my new 509, but I'm open to considering one of the Vortex options, Does anyone have a Vortex on theirs, and what model, the Razor, Viper, or Venom? I really don't know the differences between the models, so is there a reason to choose one model over another, co-witness height, etc? I'm just getting to get a feel what I should do here. I really don't see, at least for the present time, using my 509 as a carry or self defense gun. It's strictly going to be used as a suppressed "fun gun" to shoot steel and paper. Opinions? Suggestions? Thanks....
View Quote
First things first. Dang root beer is amazing.

I tried the vortex razor red dot. My opinion is that it’s too big for handgun works great on rifle etc.

If your already used to rmr’s you Will be disappointed with the vortex stuff.  I know I was.
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 1:40:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Not sure if it's looks that matter for the OP or Not : I have an RMR so decided to Try the Holosun 507C since it's the same foot print.  All I have to say is it's fast :  I've had it just over 2 months and am spoiled : JMO though
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 9:45:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Viper on mine. No problems or complaints yet, but I haven't had it that long either.
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 12:13:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Just purchased a 509T and was looking at the Venom to put on it. Great reviews and less than half the price of the Gucci brands. Lifetime warranty is a plus. I own a few Vortex scopes and they have been excellent.
Page Handguns » FN
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top