Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » FN
Posted: 12/26/2017 2:34:45 AM EDT

Had a very cold range day. 9 degrees at an outdoor range in Nebraska while visiting family. Had some issues with my FNX 45 Tactical. I bought it new about a year ago and haven’t had any issues before. The gun was stove piping every single round. Tried 4 different kinds of ammo, same result. Magazins were hard to insert. It felt too tight. As the gun hasn’t had any issues like this before I believe it could be a result of the extreme cold. It was also lightly snowing.

I also brought a USP Compact 45 and my brother in law brought his Taurus 1911 45. The other two pistols didn’t have a single hiccup with the exact same ammo. Was shooting standard ball 230 grain ammo. Winchester white box mostly.

Shot other caliber pistols as well without issues with the cold. A Glock 26, Glock 21, s&w shield and a USP full size 9mm. All the pistols experienced the same weather conditions. The only variable I can think of is I’ve used Hornady One Shot lube on the FNX and I typically use CLP on the others. The matte finish seems to be easier keeping up with a dry lube like one shot. Not sure if that could have anything to do with it?

Anybody else experience issues with your FNX 45 Tactical In extremely cold situations? Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 10:16:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah it's possible that lube froze, while the CLP didn't freeze. I would clean the FNX-45 with CLP and try again and see if it works or not.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 10:47:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah it's possible that lube froze, while the CLP didn't freeze. I would clean the FNX-45 with CLP and try again and see if it works or not.
View Quote
Great advice.  Let us know OP!!  It doesn't get that cold down here often thankfully.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 11:49:00 AM EDT
[#3]
I really hope it was a lubrication issue with the One Shot. I’ll switch to CLP. Don’t know when I’ll get the same shooting conditions again. Could be a year or two. I had Christmas with my Girlfriend’s family in Nebraska and we had some very cold temps and snow roll in. I guess I could replicate it by freezing the gun in the freezer then transporting it in a cooler to the indoor range.

Was just so surprised my most expensive “tactical” pistol was the only one that failed. I hope it was the lube and nothing else. The hand guards got very “stiff” feeling and tight around the magazines. They were hard to insert. I did some searching and saw that was a problem on the old FNP Tactical wth the polymer being very susceptible to extreme heat or cold. Not sure why they didn’t use the same types of polymers used in the glocks or the HK pistols. Have never had a hiccup with either of those brands.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 8:54:00 PM EDT
[#4]
My theory: Pistol powder burn rate/ chamber pressure effected by the low temp.

My reload 230gr with W231 was shooting 2" lower at 18 yards this Monday at 6 degrees than around 70 degrees.

The ejection pattern changed from 3 O'clock 5-6 feet to the right to straight up landing on my head.
Link Posted: 1/5/2018 1:02:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Run it dry.  Lubricant froze.  Lesson learned in Korea.
Page Handguns » FN
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top