Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » FN
Posted: 1/1/2016 5:48:41 PM EDT

I decided last week that I was going to deal away my 40sw PPQ and add a nice 1911 to my collection. Sold the PPQ right away, and hit bass pro this morning. They had nothing I wanted, all para's and Taurus 1911's. Went to another dealer in the area that had a very good selection of Springfield 1911's and after handling them the only one I was interested in was the TRP. Just happened to ask if he had any FNX45's and he had a new FDE Tactical. I have always been interested in the FNX45's, but never got to handle one till now. I was sold immediately. Can't wait to get to get to the range tomorrow. I have already taken it apart and oiled it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 6:08:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 6:18:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Have concerns about grip squish been put to bed?

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 6:33:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm not concerned. I remember seeing that, and you would have to take a heat gun to the magwell on this to do that.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 6:43:13 PM EDT
[#4]
love mine
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 7:20:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Has FN addressed the polymer ambi safety? I handled one at a shop and busted the left side safety

I like the ergos of the pistol and wanted to buy on the spot but that experience scared me off.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 10:53:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Has FN addressed the polymer ambi safety? I handled one at a shop and busted the left side safety  

I like the ergos of the pistol and wanted to buy on the spot but that experience scared me off.

View Quote
how did you bust the safety off?>

Link Posted: 1/2/2016 5:41:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Good luck with it but I would have taken the TRP....
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 12:01:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'll get a TRP eventually, but I'm mot paying the $1400+ they were asking.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 1:01:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is pretty stiff.
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 9:47:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/FNX.jpg
View Quote
No one else has been able to replicate this, and the owner admits that it did it at any temperature and it was likely bad polymer from FN. He sent them the gun, and they sent him a new one, which doesn't do it.

So yeah. No concern.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 2:16:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Welcome to the club, my friend! The FN 45T is among one of my favorite handguns to shoot + I am a diehard 1911 fanatic!
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 1:33:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'm not concerned. I remember seeing that, and you would have to take a heat gun to the magwell on this to do that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

maybe not to that degree, but the mag well definitely does deform with a fair amount of pressure.   in fact, on the one I had, I think I could get to deform just as bad if I went all hulk on it, but was afraid it would stay like that.

again, what is the failure scenario you are worrying about?   The mag well shouldn't be empty for long in any sort of combat scenario.
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 10:16:24 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

No one else has been able to replicate this, and the owner admits that it did it at any temperature and it was likely bad polymer from FN. He sent them the gun, and they sent him a new one, which doesn't do it.

So yeah. No concern.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So yeah. No concern.

A couple times I let a new shooter use my FNX and they managed to insert the magazine in backwards.  It goes in far and gets stuck.  Not a well thought out design imo.  More "soldier proof" designs would have stuff this worked out, as I'm sure the FNX would if it were ever issued.

Link Posted: 1/21/2016 11:48:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Has been put to bed many times but people keep bringing it up.  Like beating a dead horse.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 10:01:30 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

A couple times I let a new shooter use my FNX and they managed to insert the magazine in backwards.  It goes in far and gets stuck.  Not a well thought out design imo.  More "soldier proof" designs would have stuff this worked out, as I'm sure the FNX would if it were ever issued.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So yeah. No concern.

I want you to know that after I read this post, I wanted to see if it was possible. So I put the magazine in the gun backwards. It wouldn't get stuck, so I pushed more. Then I couldn't get it out. I had to disassemble the mag and then pound it out with a brass rod.

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 1:32:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I want you to know that after I read this post, I wanted to see if it was possible. So I put the magazine in the gun backwards. It wouldn't get stuck, so I pushed more. Then I couldn't get it out. I had to disassemble the mag and then pound it out with a brass rod.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So yeah. No concern.

Unbelievable...it didn't get stuck so you shoved harder.  Wow.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 9:16:16 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So yeah. No concern.

That's science for you.

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 12:53:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 7:35:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Congrats Op on the purchase. I'm sure it will do you well.

on some of the others.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 10:21:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Congrats on the new purchase!  I had a similar experience as you did, the first time I handled an FNX.

However, I feel like there are a few folks that just wait for these threads to pop up so they can talk bad about FNH.
I swear no other sub forum has this many or this loud of people who just can't wait to to piss on something they don't like.

Carry on.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 10:27:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

So do you keep this pic handy, just quivering with anticipation at the thought of getting to use it?

This has been thoroughly proven to have been only one case and the manufacturer took care of the customer.  No one else who has these guns can replicate it.
We get that you hate FNH for some reason but let it go already.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 10:55:00 PM EDT
[#22]

This has been thoroughly proven to have been only one case and the manufacturer took care of the customer.  No one else who has these guns can replicate it.
View Quote

Actually the jello mag well is one of several other issues......

http://fnforum.net/forums/fn-fnx/27656-fixed-problems-fnx.html

- "Heat issue": It was shown in previous production models that a pistol left in the sun would not fire in double action. Upon cooling it would fire again. This could not be caused by heat from the gun firing, but only from an external heat source.

- Magazine seating issue: It previous production models, in order to get the magazine to seat properly, you had to push the magazine forward after inserting it to get it to seat. This has been resolved.

- Backstrap issue: The orignal tab had some play in it. The current issue don't have much, if any, play in it. (If you need to fix play in your backstrap, it is recommended that you use hot glue. This keeps the backstrap from moving, and doesn't keep it permanently in place as other options can, such as epoxy, which is not recommended)

- cold weather magazine issue: during cold or freezing weather, the empty magazines can have some trouble falling freely from the magwell. Some success using froglube or some other dry lubes on the outside of the magazines and in the magwell have been successful in remedying the issue.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 1:26:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

- "Heat issue": It was shown in previous production models that a pistol left in the sun would not fire in double action. Upon cooling it would fire again. This could not be caused by heat from the gun firing, but only from an external heat source.

- Magazine seating issue: It previous production models, in order to get the magazine to seat properly, you had to push the magazine forward after inserting it to get it to seat. This has been resolved.

- Backstrap issue: The orignal tab had some play in it. The current issue don't have much, if any, play in it. (If you need to fix play in your backstrap, it is recommended that you use hot glue. This keeps the backstrap from moving, and doesn't keep it permanently in place as other options can, such as epoxy, which is not recommended)

- cold weather magazine issue: during cold or freezing weather, the empty magazines can have some trouble falling freely from the magwell. Some success using froglube or some other dry lubes on the outside of the magazines and in the magwell have been successful in remedying the issue.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Interesting- Tell me more about the brand of pistols you own that have never had any reported issues.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 11:58:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Interesting- Tell me more about the brand of pistols you own that have never had any reported issues.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Own a couple dozen different handguns and no more FN's.....
While any manufacturer or design can have issues FN might be able to claim the #1 spot in that category,lol.

Page Handguns » FN
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top