Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » FN
Site Notices
Posted: 11/27/2013 12:18:04 AM EDT
Buddy needed cash.  $500

He paid $600 for it two years ago.  I took him shooting when he first bought it and I was amazed at the 14 round mags!  I thought it was a sweet machine and a good shooter.  Never thought about buying an FNP .45 as I like Glocks and .40

That $500 was gonna be a G19 gen 4 but now Im so stoked I ran into my buddy today.

I like the ergos and capacity and it feels stout.  Im not really a zombie shtf prepper type.  This gun is talking to me though!

"I need a holster and a backpack and some 15 round mags and a hiking trip!"

Seems like a versatile piece of equipment.  I was stuck on smallerpistols like the G23 and never thought I would buy a polymer .45. Im digging this weapon.

It's black.  Made in 2009.  3 of the 14 round mags.  Looks like it's barely been shot.  

Did I do well price wise?

Any issues with this model?  Anything I need to know?

I would appreciate holster links too.

Tyfyt
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 1:08:29 AM EDT
[#1]
It's a good thing to not settle on one brand. Each pistol I have fills a role. My CZ75 is a bulls-eye gun, the USP 45 is my never fail OC and house gun. The Shield is my CC and my 1911 because it's a 1911 and my BU if my CZ goes down. All four are perfection and I'm very glad I never became a fanboi and just stuck on one company or model.

Well done, I heard good things about it the FN.
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 1:39:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's a good thing to not settle on one brand. Each pistol I have fills a role. My CZ75 is a bulls-eye gun, the USP 45 is my never fail OC and house gun. The Shield is my CC and my 1911 because it's a 1911 and my BU if my CZ goes down. All four are perfection and I'm very glad I never became a fanboi and just stuck on one company or model.

Well done, I heard good things about it the FN.
View Quote

Yah it's fun to "collect them all" BUT BUT BUT I never wanted a too fat G21sf or a too light G36.  I just did not think .45 and polymer went together.  This is a pistol I shot two years ago and I enjoyed it but never thought about buying.  Fate(real or not) put this particular pistol in my path.

For a full size pistol, it feels smaller than it is.  I enjoy semiauto pistols.  I see them as little machines.  Everytime I get a new one I do a mental comparo to my current and previous pistols.

I'm not really a Glock guy as much as I'm a "whatever is a good price guy" so I lied or misled y'all in the thread title.

TL;DR

"Collect them all!  Especially the ones your buddy is selling cheap because he is in a jam."

The FNP .45 feels stout.  Seems like a good design so far.  Comforting to have that much firepower in a package that belies its size.  Hope I said that right
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 7:46:08 AM EDT
[#3]
IMO you did alright on the $ if it came with all 3 of the hicap mags. (i also paid about $600 when i got it new, but it came with factory night sights.)

they may have dropped a little in $ with the release of the FNX45

i love mine and have  had zero problems with it and all i shoot are handloads.
(i also have a FNX-9 and FNX-40...)

only thing of note is.......there have been some blow up and speculation was due to the unsupported feedramp.(ive read a little on the topic but maybe others will chime in or
you can head over the FNH forums and research it ....and mags are tough to come by and pricey when you do find them.
Link Posted: 11/27/2013 7:52:27 AM EDT
[#4]
oh yea, forgot to add that with 14rnd mags you really need to invest in a maglula loader cause you will get some serious mag-thumb!
Link Posted: 11/30/2013 8:27:42 PM EDT
[#5]
$500 seems a bit steep, esp for a friend price.   Quite a few issues with FNPs noted on the board here and elsewhere.
Link Posted: 12/16/2013 4:43:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Congrats on your new toy.

As noted there have been a few issues with the FNP-45s but they are minimal.

1) Out of spec ammo with too long OAL will have issues feeding in the magazine. Most notably was the Winchester White Box for alot of FNP shooters. All other ammo I've run have been perfect.
2) Some will complain about the unsupported chamber. A few people on the net have made an issue of this due to a couple that have blown up their gun.  Most of that information is hearsay but a couple hold water. Just shoot quality ammo and you'll be fine.
3) Early on, and I'm not sure if was just the Tactical or also the regular version, a few people complained about the pin holding the trigger on working itself out. Again just a very few and very early on.

Personally, I have both the Tac and USG regular versions and love them. I've got over 7,000 rounds combined through them and they've been great, no problems. My one bad day was a range day with some winchester white box and as per all the internet stories it ran like crap. Other than that never an issue with either weapon. Enjoy your new toy, they are great guns.
Link Posted: 12/24/2013 12:29:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Hmm..I keep reading about the trigger pin and wwb.  I'll watch the pin and avoid wwb.  

I've been dry firing the pistol a couple times a night.  Superb single action while the double action feels smooth and safe for carry.  This gun does not have a safety but I feel comfortable carrying it loaded with that long double action.

Link Posted: 12/30/2013 6:25:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Hmm..I keep reading about the trigger pin and wwb.  I'll watch the pin and avoid wwb.  

I've been dry firing the pistol a couple times a night.  Superb single action while the double action feels smooth and safe for carry.  This gun does not have a safety but I feel comfortable carrying it loaded with that long double action.

View Quote

No safety, OP?  Has it been removed?  Also, I kinda thought they were supposed to be carried with the hammer cocked...  Not trying to start anything, I'm just wondering if anyone can clarify this for me a little.

EDIT: I love mine. I worry a little about the unsupported chamber but it's a nice handgun!
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 4:33:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

No safety, OP?  Has it been removed?  Also, I kinda thought they were supposed to be carried with the hammer cocked...  Not trying to start anything, I'm just wondering if anyone can clarify this for me a little.

EDIT: I love mine. I worry a little about the unsupported chamber but it's a nice handgun!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depends on which model he got. The FNP can be carried hammer down safety on, hammer down safety off or cocked and locked 1911 style. The USGs had safeties but there was a variant that didin't.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 4:38:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yah this one has no external safety.  My brain and a nice heavy double action trigger with a holster that covers the trigger are the safeties.  Actually that is the way I like it coming from Glocks.

I would pee myself carrying cocked and locked.  

My hammer is at half-cock after chambering a round.  That is procedure for this model with no safety.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 5:06:13 PM EDT
[#11]
I have an FNP .45 Tactical and I carry it cocked and locked when I carry it.  Like you I come from a Glock background so it took me awhile to get used to sweeping off that damn safety, but between this and a 1911, I'm used to it now.  Mine is a great shooter and I have had no problems with it, only shot about 2k rounds through it though.
Page Handguns » FN
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top