Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » FN
Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2013 10:58:28 AM EDT
My buddy has a FNP45  and the brass barely sputters out of the dang thing?  He was shooting in his first pistol match with me last Sunday and it cost him a bunch of time on a stage because a casing got caught as the slide was coming forward.   the RO wouldn't let me get close to see it so I don't know where it caught on the case.   Even my reloads 5.5 gr of hp38 and 230 JHP's barely come out of the gun.   In the match he was shooting Federal 230gr FMJ. I know he has issues with 200 gr Speer lawman TJM FP's also.

The other issue he has is the mag bodies are really sensitive to OAL.    I used to load 45acp to 1.25"  but they don't fit in his FNP mags and I had to shorten them up.  

Does anyone else have these issues?   Is there anything I can do to fix it?     I don't know much about FNP's as I'm a SIG guy so any help you FN guys can give will be appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 7:30:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Is this gun new? They have super stiff recoil springs.

The OAL lengths should be kept under max. You can get updated mags from FNP45 that have slightly larger Internal Dimensions
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 9:11:54 PM EDT
[#2]
its two years old but he has maybe 300 rounds through it.   it feels super stiff still. whats the average break in for it?  does anyone make reduced power springs? the casing literaly dribble out  as in they burn the knuckles on your right had because they fall right along you hand in your firing grip.

Ill let him know about the updated mags  the federal 230 were jaming up in the mag
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 9:49:45 PM EDT
[#3]
5.0gr Win 231 loads that cycle in a 1911 won't in a FNP.  Power pistol seems to be a good match for 230gr ball. The slide is a bit heaver than other .45's
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 10:22:13 PM EDT
[#4]
My FNP Tactical ejects everything just fine.  I mainly shoot it with a TiRant on it, and the extra weight is a Burris FastFire II
Link Posted: 8/19/2013 3:10:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Four of us guys at work have FNP's.  all say theirs kick brass all over the damn place.
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 11:58:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
5.0gr Win 231 loads that cycle in a 1911 won't in a FNP.  Power pistol seems to be a good match for 230gr ball. The slide is a bit heaver than other .45's
View Quote

I had to kick my 200gr bullets up to 5.9 grains of w231 to get it to function reliably. In order for it to use light loads, I got an ISMI guide rod for a Glock 17, and a 13lb spring and a 15lb spring. It is just BARELY (less than 1/8") shorter, but it works great. Also had to put it in a drill press and drill a stepped hole for the dimple on the takedown lever.

But it will shoot loads now that didn't even budge the slide before.

If I remember I will get pics when I get home.

Crappy phone pics:

Link Posted: 8/31/2013 9:14:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I had to kick my 200gr bullets up to 5.9 grains of w231 to get it to function reliably. In order for it to use light loads, I got an ISMI guide rod for a Glock 17, and a 13lb spring and a 15lb spring. It is just BARELY (less than 1/8") shorter, but it works great. Also had to put it in a drill press and I drill a stepped hole for the dimple on the takedown lever.

Crappy phone pics:

http://i.imgur.com/QjzcgW6.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/fXu9Z8s.jpg

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had to kick my 200gr bullets up to 5.9 grains of w231 to get it to function reliably. In order for it to use light loads, I got an ISMI guide rod for a Glock 17, and a 13lb spring and a 15lb spring. It is just BARELY (less than 1/8") shorter, but it works great. Also had to put it in a drill press and I drill a stepped hole for the dimple on the takedown lever.

Crappy phone pics:

http://i.imgur.com/QjzcgW6.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/fXu9Z8s.jpg

That's awesome!  my buddy doesn't use it as a SD gun only a range toy,  he used his 1911 for S/HD so this might be viable option thank you
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 9:47:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Strange.  My FN Tac had less than wonderful ejections when I first bought it - some would come straight back and bouce off my head.

I locked the slide back for 2 weeks, and shot another 100 rounds out of it.  Now it pitches the cases out at 3 oclock and a good 3-4 feet away.

After 300 rounds it shoud have broken in.

I'd send the guide rod back to FN and have them replace it. Maybe there was a QC problem and this one is too stiff.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 11:48:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Strange.  My FN Tac had less than wonderful ejections when I first bought it - some would come straight back and bouce off my head.

I locked the slide back for 2 weeks, and shot another 100 rounds out of it.  Now it pitches the cases out at 3 oclock and a good 3-4 feet away.

After 300 rounds it shoud have broken in.

I'd send the guide rod back to FN and have them replace it. Maybe there was a QC problem and this one is too stiff.
View Quote

I had to put ~750 rounds through my FNP before it stopped bouncing them off my hat/glasses.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:01:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Wow Guys!

I have to order extra power springs for my Glock's and 1911's to help with hot (warm) loads. The FNX45 is the one gun I have that came with a heavy recoil spring that can take heavy loads. I'm happy with it.
Page Handguns » FN
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top