Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2008 1:38:18 PM EDT
anyone have a mosquito or a p22? whats the word? looking for a light pack gun/ plinker. i have big ol' mits and the mosquito feels great in my hands, but there is a 50 dollar price diference and i just built an AR, and being a college student 50 bucks is a lot of money. bui just sold my .45 and i want something i can afford to shoot. and advice is appreciated
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:49:33 PM EDT
[#1]
i had a P22 for a week and sold it. Be prepared to do a lot of tweaking per the "bible' to make it run right. i bought mine without researching it because of the cool design. the things I didn't like about it was the cheap soft zinc alloy slide which will wear and gouge very easily.the slide is painted and you have to be careful about what chemicals you use to clean it. and finally it wasn't very accurate. thats my two cents. i didn't read anything about the sig.but I believe I read they have a crappy zinc alloy slide too. I am sure someone will be along to correct that if that is inaccurate. I then was looking at a Smith 22A which is made of much better materials than the P22. But why in gods name would you put a sprayed paint finish on stainless steel slide. paint on a gun is a deal breaker for me. i want to be able to use any gun cleaning solvents i want on my firearms without ruining the finish. so I ended up with a browning Buckmark and couldn't be happier. it's solid, accurate, reasonably priced and I can clean it with whatever I want. i would do a lot of research before you get a P22 to see what your going to get yourself into. good luck !
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:28:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I have both.

The P22 I have is very accurate.

The SIG is a training stand-in for my P226 / 229.

Both are suppresor hosts.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 4:04:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a recent-vintage Mosquito and have found it to be particularly ammo-sensistive.  It likes CCI MiniMags, but was still having feeding and ejection issues.  After a trip back to the factory (SIG Service is great, by the way), the magazine springs were adjusted.  It now works with most High Velocity ammo without fail.  The secret for ammo other than MiniMags is to lightly lubricate the rounds (I use a silicone gun cloth) and it completely eliminates feed and ejection problems.  I have found Winchester Wildcats comparable to MiniMags with this technique.

The pistol is fun to shoot, and after the service I am no longer saying "I should have bought the Ruger".

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk62/Make_It_In_Mass/DSC00331-1.jpg
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 5:35:07 AM EDT
[#4]
thats pretty :) i think im hoing to get the blued version with a threaded barrel. thanks, its good to hear some positive stuff, other than people badmouthing this little gun.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 3:19:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I have both.. the P22 is nearing 1 yr old, the Sig Mosquito is only a month old. For durability, Id have to say sig has the advantage here. you can determine this immediately by just its heft compared to the smaller P22. The Sig definately feels like a 'real' gun. I got the threaded version to fit my outback II on.

You cant go wrong with a P22. Reliable as hell, more comfortable, light weight, and cheap. and if you want to mount a suppressor on it, its already threaded. no need for a replacement barrel.
The P22 feels alot more 'plasticy' compared to the SIG. feels more like a toy rather than a handgun compared to the mosquito.
oh another downside to the P22 is no decocker. also, from my experience, the extractor sucks when trying to pull out UNfired ammo.

I cant really say any negative things on the SIG.. other than it is definately heavier, bigger.. but those can be looked at positively too depending on who you talk to. from all the badmouthing from people about them, i have to say i havent had any ammo problems what-so-ever with it. maybe i got lucky.. who knows..

I am a small guy and for everyday use, i'll choose the P22 over the SIG. I keep the sig at home in the case mostly as one of my 'show' guns.. especially with the suppressor mounted it looks BAD ASS.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 3:50:03 PM EDT
[#6]
you should throw up a pis of the sig w/the supresser... im going to get the threaded version too because i have intentions of a gemtech myself....someday
Link Posted: 7/24/2008 1:32:16 PM EDT
[#7]
also, is it possible to have a gunsmith "fix" the mag disconnect safty, i hate that thing
Link Posted: 7/25/2008 4:34:55 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
you should throw up a pis of the sig w/the supresser... im going to get the threaded version too because i have intentions of a gemtech myself....someday

Link Posted: 7/27/2008 6:52:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I've had very good luck with both my P22 and the wife's Mosquito. Haven't had a problem with either. Both have good accuracy and reliability.
Link Posted: 7/28/2008 5:52:20 PM EDT
[#10]
I read some reviews and fondled both extensively in the store.  I ended up going with the Mosquito, it felt more like a regular size gun to me.  The P22 was too small for me, but I did like the way it looked better.  If you have bigger hands, I think you'll be more pleased with the Sig.  I bought mine for plinking and to use as an "intro" gun to those new to shooting.  I love the thing, every time I go to the range I end up shooting it and my AR more than anything else.
Link Posted: 7/29/2008 9:28:13 AM EDT
[#11]
2,000 rounds and I still have a smile when I shoot it.Sig Mosquito...No question.

Will be taking the "NEW" threaded barreled version for the break-in this weekend.Oh Happy Days.
Link Posted: 7/29/2008 11:32:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Both are pot metal zinc junk....
Link Posted: 8/1/2008 9:42:51 AM EDT
[#13]
What else do you expect for $250?

i have a P-22 with that now has 7k rounds through it.

the first few hundred rounds, the slide will ware at a few specific contact points. Just file the burs down with an emery board, and it will stop waring after a few hundred rounds. put a drop of oil on the contact points just as you would with any firearm.

I don't have any problems with mine. It will have an occasional hiccup with non-plated Federal bulk pack, but it shoots all other bulk packs and high end ammo well. Iv ran my P-22 in PPC a few times with no problems.

While the gun is capable of accurate shooting, its mushy trigger and numerous internal safety's make good shooting difficult, but it CAN be done.

its not a bad gun. I wouldn't count on passing it on to your children, but its a great gun for under $300. My buddy finally had to replace his after 20K rounds. Thats a bit shorter service life than many handguns, but again, for a Sub $300 gun, i think thats quite good.
Link Posted: 8/1/2008 5:53:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Bought a new P22, 2 weeks ago.  Went through 1k rounds of all types of ammo trying them out.  Cycled every one of them.  Does much better than my old Marlin 60 rifle.  Some of the crappier ammo is way under powered and you can hear the difference.  Like a thud but it still cycled.   Used CCI mini mags for the first 100 rounds. Also, I cleaned the barrel by using CLP and running a bore snake through after each mag. The next 500 of all types of ammo ran without hiccup. Cleaned it up really good with Powerblast and CLP. Went out the next day and fired off another 400 without incident.  Cleaned again and put away.  Helps having 2 kids to constantly load mags and shoot :D  Also, a lot cheaper than letting them fire off mag after mag in the Glock.

Seems like a good practice pistol to me and that's why I bought it.  1000 rounds of any other ammo would have put a dent in the pocketbook.
Link Posted: 8/4/2008 6:19:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Yeah I just bought a Mosquito about a month ago and have put nearly 1000 rounds through it. Im a novice shooter- but for me at 7yards the groups are great. The ammo is cheap: Ive only used CCI mini-mag HP and after 400 of those I changed to federal bulk. Have had 2 failure to feeds but I think it may not have had a good drip on the gun.

All in all im very pleased with my purchase, and am looking forward to sending thousands of more rounds down the range.
Link Posted: 8/10/2008 3:50:45 PM EDT
[#16]
I just traded in my P22 towards the Mosquito. I didn't have any problems with the P22, I just could not get used to the tiny grip. I only put 400 rounds through the P22, but did not have any feed issues with it only complaint was that the slide failed to stay locked open a few times on the last round. I will say though, that as soon as I picked up the Sig I felt as if it is nicer quality then the P22. The Sig weighs more then the P22 and I definately like the larger grip better too.
Link Posted: 8/10/2008 7:11:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Definitely go for the Mosquito.  Feels great to shoot and is well balanced.  Be sure to break it in per the instrucitons in the manual.  After 400 rounds of minimags it has eaten everything I put through it.  Fun gun to shoot.
Link Posted: 8/11/2008 10:52:33 PM EDT
[#18]
I'll add my vote for the Mosquito. The P22 was too small for me.  You'll read a lot of bad reviews on the Mosquito, mostly that it is finicky with ammo.  But if you follow the manual and use CCI Mini-mags you'll have no problems.  After about 2000 rounds of Mini-mags I decided to try Federal bulk HP and the Mosquito loved them.  But break it in good with Mini-mags before trying the cheap stuff.  It runs great and is pleanty accurate for a tactical trainer.  Sig gives you three different front sites so experiment to see which fits you best.  It is designed to be a tactical trainer not a target pistol.  Even so, after taking some time to learn the gun it is almost as accurate as the Buckmark at 50 ft.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top