Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/4/2007 2:22:21 AM EDT
Well, yesterday another one broke. As I am approaching 80,000 rounds, my firing pin broke pretty regularly after around 20,000 rounds.  It always breaks at the loop where the retaining pin sits in and I now have a couple of spares.

Who has had the same experience with the S&W M22A/S firing pins?
Link Posted: 11/8/2007 9:09:22 AM EDT
[#1]
No trouble here, but I dont have a round count that high.

Are you replacing any springs when you switch FPs?

You probably need to find the cause of the problem if its pretty regular now.
Link Posted: 11/8/2007 2:31:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I only replaced the firing pin this time and cleaned it. I removed an embarrassing amount of crud from the plastic firing pin carrier. Every 10 to 20,000 rounds I detail strip the gun and clean it but besides that it sees very little cleaning.

I had changed the main spring about 60,000 rounds and it was considerably shorter than the new spring. The recoil spring was changed a little later by S&W when my frame broke.
The magazines are still on the origianl springs.

My recoil buffers last pretty long, too. Maybe that is because I rarely clean the gun
Link Posted: 11/9/2007 1:55:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm surprised the pistol lasted as long as it has.

Quoted:
The magazines are still on the origianl springs.

They are the best magazines that I've seen in a rimfire pistol.
Link Posted: 11/9/2007 11:49:08 PM EDT
[#4]

I'm surprised the pistol lasted as long as it has.

Quite honestly, so am I. Every part that broke was sent to me under warranty to replace it myself - everything but the frame, that is. I guess this pistol isn't even in it's midlife crisis, we plan to keep on shooting it.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 5:30:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Mine broke after about 5,000 rounds.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top