Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2007 1:05:42 PM EDT
Well for Christmas I got a new Ruger MK III 22/45 and I love it.  Its a great little shooter and plenty accurate.  The only problem other than mags staying empty is the grips are too thin for me.  Anyone know of a source for some grips that can widen it up a little?  It looks like the factory ones are molded in with the frame so I dont' think I can just replace the current ones.  Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 1/9/2007 6:38:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/9/2007 11:21:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Basically you are looking at having a machinist mill the grip frame flat, then putting in thread inserts to take std. 1911 grip panels.
Link Posted: 1/9/2007 11:22:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I got hogue grips on my MkIII and it it great.

you can see more pics of it in the refinishing thread (under arms and tactics).

The grips interfiear with a little bump where the mag release button in on one side (does not interfear with the button it self).  But it was nothing major.  just 10 minutes with a dremil on the back of the grip.  I also disabled that pesky magazine disconnect while I had it disassembled for KG gunkote job.  But that is for another discussion.
Link Posted: 1/10/2007 12:01:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Looking for details of this modification for my MarkII 22/45. What size of grips do you use, Officer's or Govt?

Quoted:
I got hogue grips on my MkIII and it it great.
img128.imageshack.us/img128/1553/mkiiiobl1qh.jpg
you can see more pics of it in the refinishing thread (under arms and tactics).

The grips interfiear with a little bump where the mag release button in on one side (does not interfear with the button it self).  But it was nothing major.  just 10 minutes with a dremil on the back of the grip.  I also disabled that pesky magazine disconnect while I had it disassembled for KG gunkote job.  But that is for another discussion.
Link Posted: 1/10/2007 3:29:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the help guys.  I'll look a little more at the Hogue grip modification.  Rather not do anything permanent to it just yet.
Link Posted: 1/10/2007 7:35:51 PM EDT
[#6]
ooops, my mistake, I have the standard mark III, not the 22/45 variant.  The 22/45 has less aftermarket options.  Maybe an overmold sleeve is more up your alley.
Link Posted: 1/10/2007 9:38:32 PM EDT
[#7]
You have the plastic gun, he has the metal gun, they have nothing in common in this thread.
Link Posted: 1/16/2007 6:34:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Not sure as to what amount of increase you are interested in but I am pretty sure that there is a Hogue Handle slip over that fits that model. They are not that much money you might give it a try.  
Link Posted: 2/4/2007 7:54:11 PM EDT
[#9]
It is actually very easy to fit standard 1911 grips on to your 22/45, actually there are two ways to do it. First option, you could grind the back of a set of grips to match the contour of your 22/45's grips and atach them with rubber cement or use option 2 like I did. I chose to grind my 22/45 grip frame flat and install some 1911 grip bushings. Now my 22/45 will take any 1911 grip and it really was not too hard, probably only took about an hour. I will post a pic in a litte while.

Link Posted: 2/5/2007 5:03:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the idea lambchop.  That would be a pretty cool route to go.  I'll probly look first though at a slip on grip or whatever the proper name is.  But that's definitely a good back up idea and makes it nice for grip changes in the future.
Link Posted: 2/5/2007 6:19:12 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
It is actually very easy to fit standard 1911 grips on to your 22/45, actually there are two ways to do it. First option, you could grind the back of a set of grips to match the contour of your 22/45's grips and atach them with rubber cement or use option 2 like I did. I chose to grind my 22/45 grip frame flat and install some 1911 grip bushings. Now my 22/45 will take any 1911 grip and it really was not too hard, probably only took about an hour. I will post a pic in a litte while.

i16.photobucket.com/albums/b6/smallblockcoupe/IMG_0511.jpg

That is cool. What did you use to grind the frame? How hard is it and whats involved in installing grip bushings?
Link Posted: 2/5/2007 7:59:48 PM EDT
[#12]
I used an electric die grinder, but you could use a dremel if you wanted but it would take longer. Make sure you tape around the grip that way you dont scratch the rest of the grip frame if you slip, also you must completly disassemble the frame. The grip screws were actually easier then I thought...first find a drill bit that is close to the threaded part of the grip bushing then lay the grips on to you frame and mark the holes. After that drill the holes and screw the bushings into the frame. I have seen guides that tell you to use JB weld on the bushings, but mine fit so well I didnt need any.

Here is a helpful guide:

http://www.wiztechs.com/knightsrealm/guns/22-45/grips/grips.htm
Link Posted: 2/6/2007 1:19:09 PM EDT
[#13]
I just got done doing this mod to my Mark II 22/45, & I like it! I done it following the instructions in the link lambchops provided. It took me a lot of nerve to go grinding on my frame, cause I was sure I would screw it up. I was as nervous as a whore in church.

I haven't put any JB Weld on it yet, but I will eventually, cause I kind of boogered up one of the holes (the first one I drilled) for the bushings.

Here is a pic of the completed project.

Link Posted: 2/7/2007 3:17:34 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I used an electric die grinder, but you could use a dremel if you wanted but it would take longer. Make sure you tape around the grip that way you dont scratch the rest of the grip frame if you slip, also you must completly disassemble the frame. The grip screws were actually easier then I thought...first find a drill bit that is close to the threaded part of the grip bushing then lay the grips on to you frame and mark the holes. After that drill the holes and screw the bushings into the frame. I have seen guides that tell you to use JB weld on the bushings, but mine fit so well I didnt need any.

Here is a helpful guide:

http://www.wiztechs.com/knightsrealm/guns/22-45/grips/grips.htm
www.wiztechs.com/knightsrealm/guns/22-45/grips/grips.htm/  Made it hot.

Also, is that a full size grip or compact?
Link Posted: 2/8/2007 6:13:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Fullsize, the grips on my gun and hk45shooter's gun are both off government model 1911s.
Link Posted: 2/8/2007 8:12:02 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Fullsize, the grips on my gun and hk45shooter's gun are both off government model 1911s.

Negative, the grips on my gun are Officers model size.

I tried the Govt. grips from my 1911, they just didn't seem to fit right. I ordered a cheap set from CDNN, they fit almost like they are meant for this gun.
Link Posted: 2/16/2007 3:14:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Well, now look at what you made me do. I'm half way there, I did'nt think it would be so hard to locate some grip bushings locally. I had to order some, a couple more days. Hopefully I can get it back together.
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 1:48:15 PM EDT
[#18]
The grip part was easy. Getting the guts back together was a pain in the butt. But worth it, here's mine done.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 12:25:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Nice looking guns guys.  Wish I was that adventuresome with mine.  But they look good and makes things a lot easier for you if you decide you want a new look.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 11:49:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Wow those look good.   I'm going to have to do that when I finally get a 22/45.   That and the gunkote route.  Man does that OD look good.

ETA: anyone know if gunkote can be done with out the cooking at 300 degree?  I'm a little leary about putting a plastic frame in an oven.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top