Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2017 2:31:35 PM EDT
She has been begging me to let her come up on the hill where we shoot pistols in the back yard (my son and I). So I finally caved and put some muffs on her and let her pull the trigger on my new MKIV 22/45 Lite a few times while I held it. She would chuckle and laugh after each shot. Fired 3-4 rounds and then goes "okay, your turn dada" I fired a couple and then she goes "Okay, my turn dada" * got that big warm fuzzy feeling

Wife doesn't know...and I'm not telling her.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 2:33:49 PM EDT
[#1]
There are some things Mama just doesn't need to know
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 4:33:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 6:58:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Best times in my life are/were range time with my daughters.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 7:33:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Some of my oldest memories are shooting my dad's .22lr pistol. Those memories always make me smile. I think it's time well invested.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 7:37:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd bring it up with the wife. I was shooting at that age. Go for it dad.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 9:31:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd bring it up with the wife. I was shooting at that age. Go for it dad.
View Quote
I ended up telling her later in the day... and slipped in a suggestion that since it didn't even bother our 4y old daughter maybe she should give it a try. Yeah, didn't go for it, but wasn't mad so, there's that.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:30:03 PM EDT
[#7]
that's a great memory...priceless.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:39:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Good stuff OP.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 9:30:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Both of my daughters (now 17 and 13) have been coming shooting with my wife and I since they were big enough to hold the guns. Our older daughter likes rifles, our younger daughter likes pistols. The Christmas she was 12, I gave my older daughter my Ruger 10/22 Deluxe (I think that was the designation, nicer than normal blue job and a walnut stock). This past Christmas, when she was 12, I gave our youngest my Ruger MKII 5 1/2" stainless bull barrel pistol. They both LOVE them and are constantly bugging me to go shooting. I don't get to the range as often as I'd like, but I try to take one or the other of them, or both, as often as I can. Quality time spent with the kids is rare nowadays, gotta get it when you can. Glad your daughter loves it, just keep it up with her and you'll have a shooter for life!

Bub75
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 2:10:06 PM EDT
[#10]
This thread is of particular relevance to me.  My daughter will be 4 in Aug.  She just said to me the other day "can I go shooting with you when I'm 4".  I'm looking forward to it more than she is - I've already got her some ear muffs but I think she'll need a new bolt action .22 with a threaded barrel for the .22 form 1 can too...
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 6:23:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Your a good dad. I have videos and pics of me shooting with my four year old. She loves it and goes with me now whenever I go. It has been a real treat for me to share that with my girls. When my youngest was four, she came in the room where I had cleaned my safe out and was re-arranging it. She walks and confidently points and says "that one is mine, and that one is mine, and that one is mine" down the line. It made me chuckle because she was only choosing the evil black rifles. That girl knows my collection as well as I do, much better than my wife.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 5:44:51 PM EDT
[#12]
The first gun my sons (now 10 and 12 y/o) shot was a Savage Arms Rascal .22 bolt action rifle.  I can't imagine a better first gun for a young new shooter.  This rifle inspired immediate confidence and they were able to get good shots on target almost right away which was really encouraging for them.  The single shot, bolt action workflow seemed to be valuable for establishing good discipline.  They have a Walther P22 pistol to share but are far more accurate and comfortable with the rifle.  I highly recommend starting them out with something like the .22 Rascal rifle.  It's also much cheaper than most .22 pistols.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 7:45:15 PM EDT
[#13]
That's awesome. My boys and I were playing with our new MkIV Lite this afternoon. Of course they're a bit older at 11 and 14, but still a lot of fun.

In fact my 11-year old shot my 1911 for the first time today! He loved it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 5:09:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
She has been begging me to let her come up on the hill where we shoot pistols in the back yard (my son and I). So I finally caved and put some muffs on her and let her pull the trigger on my new MKIV 22/45 Lite a few times while I held it. She would chuckle and laugh after each shot. Fired 3-4 rounds and then goes "okay, your turn dada" I fired a couple and then she goes "Okay, my turn dada" * got that big warm fuzzy feeling

Wife doesn't know...and I'm not telling her.
View Quote

That is pretty awesome. My now 6 year old daughter got her first pistol when she was 4... A Beretta 92FS... Airsoft of course. I keep the BB's also of course. She has shot more pistols and shotguns than your average American has in my guarded presence. And to the emboldened in crimson... That would be a BIG HELL NO! Good call to keep the wife out of that for time being...
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 6:22:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Get her involved in the field stripping, cleaning, inspection and lubing after the shooting session, too.

My boys would sit down in the floor with me and we'd go through it.

Safety rules (even for cleaning).

What parts are called.

What parts come off first.

What parts need to be cleaned and with what and how.

What parts need a drop of oil when you put the parts back together.

They always got a kick out of it and it's really good stuff for them to know.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top