Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/3/2013 1:39:24 PM EDT
I REALLY need to get a .22lr pistol. Ammo costs are way to high for me and I'd like to go and have fun at the range and practice more. Which of these 4 would you recommend? I'm looking for the most reliable one that my gun shop offers.

It would only be used for self defense as a loaner gun or something, but probably for me and my g/f to shoot at the range most often. I'd also prefer for it to not be really fragile. I know people like the MK II over the MK III, but it's not an option right now and I just want to buy a new one with a warranty. I'll learn to clean whatever
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 2:15:58 PM EDT
[#1]
The only one I don't own is the 22/45.

All are quality pistols. The Mark III and Buckmark will be better for hunting, competition, and target shooting

I like my M&P 22 for plinking and training.

With the looks and feel being similar to the full size guns it allows for better transition for my students from a .22 to a 9mm without messing with their brains and them worrying about recoil.
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 2:32:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The only one I don't own is the 22/45.
All are quality pistols. The Mark III and Buckmark will be better for hunting, competition, and target shooting

I like my M&P 22 for plinking and training.
With the looks and feel being similar to the full size guns it allows for better transition for my students from a .22 to a 9mm without messing with their brains and them worrying about recoil.

My 22/45 is a great little shooter!
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 4:17:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I would highly recommend either a ruger MkIII 22/45 lite, or a Ruger SR22. I own both and they are both great. The 22/45 is probably my favorite, but they have both functioned 100% since day one. I have not had a single malfunction, not even ammo related with either gun.  The 22/45 lite has around 3k rounds through it, and the SR22 has about 1k through it. In my opinion you can't go wrong with either pistol.
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 8:57:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I forgot the ruger sr22 was there as well
Link Posted: 7/7/2013 8:08:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I own a 22/45 lite, but no buckmark, M&P 22, or MK3s (I have several MK2s) I have shot them all though and the ones you mention are all good quality and reasonably reliable in my experience. Just one thing about my 22/45 lite, I like it but have to modify it as the trigger is really bad. The pistol functions well, just heavy inconsistent mushy trigger makes it hard to be as accurate as I would like. That is something I couldnt tell just picking it up at the gun counter.Not sure what researching you have done to develop your choices, but those are all pretty common, try to find someone to let you shoot them before you buy. Otherwise not a bad choice in the group in my opinion, and you are making the right decision buying a .22. The warranty isnt very important, at least not with ruger. I sent in an old GP100 .357 to ruger, they worked on it, installed a new barrel, and returned it free of charge, without any proof of purchase.
Link Posted: 7/8/2013 10:19:19 AM EDT
[#6]
I have Buckmark, MarkIII,s, (2) and a MP22. For sheer fun plinking, informal target practice, ability to eat any ammo, the MP22 is the winner. The Rugers are just too much of a PITA to work on and clean. The Buckmark is a nice shooter but the MP is the best choice. Accurate and dependable and a reasonable priced gun. JMHO
Link Posted: 7/8/2013 4:07:39 PM EDT
[#7]
The Rugers are nice because for $60 you can put in a Volq trigger and sear that will break at 2.5#'s and rival any 1911. They are not easy to take down at first, but once you do it a couple times and you get used to it and it loosens up a bit you don't need the rubber mallet any more.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/14/2013 8:12:43 PM EDT
[#8]
If MKII is not an option, then Buckmark.
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 3:59:43 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a 22/45 and a Buckmark, both good quality but I prefer the Browning. Everyone that has ever shot them both (including me) shoots the Buckmark more accurately.
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 9:17:10 AM EDT
[#10]
I like my MKII I cant imagine the MKIII would be much different. I shoot it regularly at 30+ yards
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 10:44:01 AM EDT
[#11]
22/45 lite is the answer you're looking for
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 6:16:10 PM EDT
[#12]
If you ever plan to mod it with trigger etc, I'd vote ruger.  If you ever plan to change barrels for a possible suppressor, I'd vote browning.

I really like the MK II but the MK III is a close second.  Many people don't like the mag safety or the lock.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:39:01 AM EDT
[#13]
I was looking for a 22/45 lite when I stumbled across a killer deal on a M&P22.  Its a great little plinker.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 10:58:15 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a couple of MK IIIs and a MK III 22/45. While I like the MK IIIs, I have to adapt my hand to the grip. I don’t have to do that with the 1911-like grip of the 22/45, so I find I prefer the 22/45. I waited until removable grips were available for the 22/45 and put checkered, wood grips like the grips of my 1911. I also invested in a VQ MK II hammer, sear and trigger.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:09:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Ruger .22 are the best option ( my opinion and many others )
Ruger is inexpensive to shoot , maintain and upgrade . No other 22 has the vast array of aftermarket items and upgrades - barrels , sights , trigger groups  ( very modular similar to an AR )

Anybody that says they are too difficult to clean has never read the owners manual or watched a short YouTube video - a very easy process once you have done it the first time .

Ruger is the leader in 22 caliber firearms for a reason
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:41:42 PM EDT
[#16]
The first handgun I ever bought was in 1959.   It was a Ruger Standard (pre-mark 1).  That gun was stolen in 1962 and I replaced it with a Mark 1.   Not sure how many thousands of rounds I put though the gun (maybe 10,000 - 15,000) but in 1983 or thereabouts I had the firing pin and extractor replaced.   I gave the gun to my son in 1995 and he has shot many thousands of rounds and the gun still functions like new.  In 2004 I bought a new Mark 2 stainless and it it is my favorite gun to shoot bar none.  I shoot it a lot and would shoot even more if I could get the ammo.  I can't comment on the other brands because I have not owned any of them in .22 caliber, but I'm sure they are also fine guns.  In all the years I've owned a Ruger I don't believe I've ever heard a negative comment.  The guns are accurate, reliable, and just trouble free.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 2:35:28 PM EDT
[#17]
I would recommend any of the all metal Ruger original style Semiautos.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 2:52:49 PM EDT
[#18]
AWC Amphibian S, (Mark III host) FTW

Link Posted: 7/29/2013 2:50:24 PM EDT
[#19]
I recently picked up one of the new version 22/45 lites that has the black barrel instead of that odd looking gold one. I have to say it is a great setup. Not match grade accuracy but plenty good for plinking and informal target shooting

Link Posted: 8/5/2013 1:25:35 PM EDT
[#20]
I've both an M&P22 and a Buck Mark; like both of them a lot.

M&P22 for plinking, great suppressor host, feels like a full size pistol.

Buck Mark for steel matches and plinking.

</a>" />

Link Posted: 8/9/2013 2:29:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 4:25:37 AM EDT
[#22]
+1

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ruger .22 are the best option ( my opinion and many others )
Ruger is inexpensive to shoot , maintain and upgrade . No other 22 has the vast array of aftermarket items and upgrades - barrels , sights , trigger groups  ( very modular similar to an AR )

Anybody that says they are too difficult to clean has never read the owners manual or watched a short YouTube video - a very easy process once you have done it the first time .

Ruger is the leader in 22 caliber firearms for a reason
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/16/2013 5:11:42 PM EDT
[#23]
22/45 owner........love it
Link Posted: 8/16/2013 7:50:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Here is my rating of my .22s in order

1.  Hi Standard Supermatic Trophy 106 Military
2.  Colt Woodsman
3.  Hi Standard HD Military
4.  Browning Buckmark
5.  Ruger Mk2
6.  Ruger 22/45

7+ irrelevant

Of what you listed I would say get a buckmark or an mk2... wouldnt even think about an M&P22

Wish the 22/45 had a metal frame or i would think higher of it, and the loaded chamber indicator on it is annoying... i much prefer the buckmark or mk2 to it, but i am probably trading everything but the buckmark and and colt on more hi standards

Not on your list but if you come across a nice hi standard though... BUY IT
Link Posted: 8/16/2013 8:49:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Loaded chamber indicator is a non issue.......takes all of 2 min to remove and place a filler.....also comes in stainless

http://www.tandemkross.com/Mark-III-2245-LCI-Replacement-Insert_p_16.html
Link Posted: 8/16/2013 8:56:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Loaded chamber indicator is a non issue.......takes all of 2 min to remove and place a filler.....also comes in stainless

View Quote

nice, got a link for a metal frame?
Link Posted: 8/17/2013 12:12:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

2.  Colt Woodsman
4.  Browning Buckmark
5.  Ruger Mk2
6.  Ruger 22/45

7+ irrelevant

Of what you listed I would say get a buckmark or an mk2... wouldnt even think about an M&P22

Wish the 22/45 had a metal frame or i would think higher of it, and the loaded chamber indicator on it is annoying... i much prefer the buckmark or mk2 to it, but i am probably trading everything but the buckmark and and colt on more hi standards

View Quote

Thats one hell of a list to not include a S&W 41..
Link Posted: 8/18/2013 8:42:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

2.  Colt Woodsman
4.  Browning Buckmark
5.  Ruger Mk2
6.  Ruger 22/45

7+ irrelevant

dont own one... yet
Link Posted: 8/18/2013 12:25:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
dont own one... yet
View Quote

Ahh, right you are.  I'm sure it will vie for the top spot. Both it and the supermatic are fine pistols..
Link Posted: 8/18/2013 11:11:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats a non issue also
Link Posted: 8/18/2013 11:13:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Buckmark has a better trigger out of the box than the others.
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 6:07:24 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I have a 22/45 and a Buckmark, both good quality but I prefer the Browning. Everyone that has ever shot them both (including me) shoots the Buckmark more accurately.
View Quote

I've owned a Buckmark 5.5 Target for about 16 years now and just bought a MKIII 22/45 for a project the other day. Out of the box the Ruger doesn't have a lot going for it. It honestly feels like a cheap piece of shit and the Buckmark just feels a lot more balanced and of higher quality. With that said, the Ruger does shoot quite well and after a little work to eliminate the loaded chamber indicator, mag safety, and clean up the trigger a bit, I'll be a lot happier with it.

An 80 shot group from 15yds I shot yesterday.

Link Posted: 8/30/2013 6:50:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Volquartsen says mid-2013.
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 8:24:48 PM EDT
[#34]
All you have listed will serve you well and are durable.
I have the Buckmark and did have a Ruger MkIII.
Both are fine guns, but the Buckmark fit my hand
better and the one  I liked to shoot the most.
So, you need togo to LGS and try them out
to see what works best for YOU.
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 8:50:13 PM EDT
[#35]
you can try the SIG/GSG 1911 it work very well for me but next year i will be getting the 22/45
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:33:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I've both an M&P22 and a Buck Mark; like both of them a lot.

M&P22 for plinking, great suppressor host, feels like a full size pistol.

Buck Mark for steel matches and plinking.

http://<a href=http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e2/evolution88/IMG_0170_zpsd0c2016a.jpg</a>" />

View Quote

OP, I bought a Buckmark this past Friday after buying a Walther-made Colt Gold Cup in 22lr a couple of days before. I have shot both and I LOVE the Buckmark right out of the box. No work needed, no reliability issues. It rocks and feels so good in my hand that I would have no issues recommending it to a blind guy. As soon as I picked it up I knew I would be buying it. Shooting feels every bit as good as holding it.

My biggest criticism is that the mag release takes more pressure than I would prefer and the mag does not eject as forcefully as I would like. I feel like a fag for even mentioning that stuff. It's a great gun. Not a good gun. A great gun.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 6:53:51 PM EDT
[#37]
wow- that gun has some hard USE

very nice!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top