Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/31/2013 4:24:47 PM EDT
I'm having trouble finding .22lr anything.   Guys got any leads ?  Looking for Federal or CCI.  

Link Posted: 1/31/2013 4:47:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Rare as hens teeth.  Glad I got a brick a week for a couple years.
Link Posted: 1/31/2013 5:38:47 PM EDT
[#2]
well good news and bad news...
Academy usually always has 22LR ammunition
BUT they only sell it in boxes of 25 with a limit of one per customer
so if you want to go in there for a week you can then go to the range for an hour or two
Link Posted: 1/31/2013 6:46:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I had my eyeball on Federal 40gr 5k round cases @ the LGS for weeks before the panic and then poof.  It was like someone waved a wand and it was all gone.  You snooze you lose right now :(
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 7:39:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
well good news and bad news...
Academy usually always has 22LR ammunition
BUT they only sell it in boxes of 25 with a limit of one per customer
so if you want to go in there for a week you can then go to the range for an hour or two

What the heck do you mean by "boxes of 25"?   Do you mean a box with 25 rounds in it?   NOT!  You can buy a CCI ammo can with 1600 in it if you can get lucky when they have them.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 8:33:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Where is it you ask ? It's being bought up and hoarded by idiots who think it's going to get banned .
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 12:37:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Where is it you ask ? It's being bought up and hoarded by idiots who think it's going to get banned .

VERY WELL SAID AND VERY TRUE
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 6:26:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, not completely true in my opinion. A lot of people treat it as their SHTF ammo for survival needs. It's dirt cheap compared to other ammo and can easily be kept in the thousands in a corner of the closet. And the main reason, in my mind anyway, it's for taking to the range when you can't afford the crazy prices on 9mm, .45, .308, etc... It works in both rifles and pistols and it's a fun day at the range on the cheap. Look at .22 pistol, 10/22 and conversion kit prices. People are using it instead of their normal ammo because of the price and scarcity of the rest. Makes sense to me. I don't think anyone really believes .22 ammo is going to get banned.
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 11:28:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Now it is.  The first few weeks after Sandy Hook it was being bought up in large quantities by people who are now flipping it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2013 10:47:27 AM EDT
[#9]
When people began to think there is a shortage, then the runs happens and then there is a shortage....

Heard a story once that Johnny Carson or Leno said that there was a shortage of toilet paper and people made a run on it - sure nuf - turned into a shortage....

Same thing with the gas stations and gas - they have what we need till every one has to fill their tanks up at the same time.

Then again - you can can that  dingo eat it all

Red

Link Posted: 2/4/2013 11:06:49 AM EDT
[#10]
I've been buying .22LR since 2008. Up to 26K. Bulk packs, CCI mini mag 100rnd boxes, Etc.. Every time I went to Wally World with the wife I picked up a couple bulk packs. When the shooting happened, I went to the store and bought 4 bulk packs. Went back a few days later and were all gone. It pays to buy cheap and stack deep.
Link Posted: 2/4/2013 11:30:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've been buying .22LR since 2008. Up to 26K. Bulk packs, CCI mini mag 100rnd boxes, Etc.. Every time I went to Wally World with the wife I picked up a couple bulk packs. When the shooting happened, I went to the store and bought 4 bulk packs. Went back a few days later and were all gone. It pays to buy cheap and stack deep.

It only pays if you are now selling it. You have 26k rounds...
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 6:07:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I think a lot of people are buying because of the threat of having to register your ammo purchases in the future possibly. No one wants to have the man looking at what they are buying and in what quantities. I dont think it being banned scares peopel as much as having to register it at purchase. I remember when I was a teenager back in 69 when you had to register ammo, including 22 LR if it fit a pistol of any kind. Real pain in the ass. They stopped doing it around 70 or 71.  Now it seems that if you buy 1,000 rounds of anything your up to no good. They forget about the econimies of buying in bulk.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 6:24:42 PM EDT
[#13]
It's all in my basement.
Well not all but an an ammo can marked for each 22lr rifle or pistol.
When CCI stopped making the SGB I had 2 rifles that loved it.
After that I started buying 22 ammo any time I found a decent deal.
Natchez used to have sales...now nada.
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 8:47:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm having trouble finding .22lr anything.   Guys got any leads ?  Looking for Federal or CCI.  

RE: Where is all the .22lr ammo?

In MY safe.  Where it should be!

Seriously though, if you didn't stock up on it before now, good luck finding it in anything but small quantities.

Hopefully all this political BS will settle and the supply will come back, but as of right now everyone's soo scared they will pay any silly amount for anything gun related.

-Masta
Link Posted: 2/7/2013 4:47:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Bought the limit at one store yesterday; brick of CCI standard and a 100pak of Mini-Mags.
$50...ouch.

Frees up some older ammo.
Found a guy with Mayo jars full of loose 22s...we'll see what he wants.
Link Posted: 2/7/2013 11:29:55 AM EDT
[#16]
i just found some local for about 29.xx out the door for 500 rounds of federal.  not the best price ever but ill take it in this climate.  it was a store that you might not think would sell ammo, i think thats why they still had some left.
Link Posted: 2/8/2013 11:56:28 AM EDT
[#17]
I have been stocking up since 2009.  I have around 200K in 22LR and another 35K in 22MAG.  I figure that I have enough to keep may family shooting for at least 7-10 years.  I have never expected 22LR to be banned, but I want it on hand before my family and I go to the range.

In the old days, I could go to Walmart and pick up a brick or two any day of the week.  Those days are long gone.  The ammo producers are not keeping up with the current demand.  So many more shooters are using 22LR to save money and there are so many more guns that use 22LR now. Add to all of that popular shooting shows, survival shows, and an administration hell bent on destroying the 2nd Amendment and wallah you have a 22LR shortage.  Not to mention that for years ammo components were destined to the two wars in which the US was engaged.

I treated myself to a small purchase of a 500 rnd brick this Christmas in order to get a small ornamental Cabela's pine box.  Other than that, I have left all of the 22 LR ammo out there for the rest of you who have not stocked up over the years.

Best of luck, Ron
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 7:11:59 PM EDT
[#18]
In NY we have to do a background check for ammo after april 2014.  I beleive people here are loading up on it so they dont keep track of your ammo purchases. I also heard it will throw up a flag if you buy to much here starting next year. If you guys have extra and willing to ship put it on ny armslist you will probally do good $$.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 5:25:43 AM EDT
[#19]
They fill out a log entry including our FID card #  for 22LR here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top