Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2012 5:55:26 AM EDT
Hi everyone!

I'm looking to get a new .22LR pistol and while it's primary role will be target, plinking and maybe some vermin I also want to be able to use it suppressed.  I also want good quality without breaking the bank, say $500 and under.  So I've been doing some searching and reading of other posts, and have narrowed to these models based on peoples reviews of them and the fact they come with a threaded barrel:

Ruger 22/45 threaded
Browning Buckmaster Camper Whisper
Walther P22 (I know it needs an adapter for the suppressor, but I think it's only around $40)
Ruger SR22 (I think it can have a threaded barrel from Ruger?)
Sig 1911/22

Other contenders that don't (that I'm aware of) come with a threaded barrel and would require a $250 or so 'replacement' barrel to be threaded are:
Ruger MkIII (EDIT:  I see the MkIII now has a threaded barrel version, it's just not on Ruger's website)

I DO NOT want to spend time tuning and honing in the gun anymore than I have to, so I'm looking for something that shoots most to all ammo god right out of the box.  That said, I would like to be able to do some 'customizing' if I so desired down the road.  Not a major need, but a nice to have ability.  I also would like one that will suppress well (I'll be using a Sparrow almost certainly), and maybe a red dot or other optic option eventually.

Anyone have input on any of these?  I realize this may be splitting hairs on many of these, especially the Buckmaster & Ruger's, and maybe it's just going to be 'pick one and be done'.  But any here that wouldn't work well for suppressor or taking different ammo well?  Honestly I'm a little leery of the Walther as I've read many stories of them working great, but just as many of them being picky as hell and not being great.  And I haven't read a lot on the Sig's, good or bad.

Thanks everyone, appreciate any and all inputs!!  
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 6:53:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I would stay away from the Walther.  The others are good choices.  I haven't seen a threaded factory barrel for the SR-22.  What about the GSG 1911-22.  Fun plinker, easy to suppress and you can get a thread adapter from GSGPro.com for around 30 bucks.
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 7:08:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info.  

Yea, I haven't seen a threaded barrel for the SR-22 either, but here's a direct quote from page 25 of the SR-22's manual:

The RUGER® SR22TM PISTOL barrel, although fixed, can be changed out.
Threaded barrels are available from Ruger.  

So I called Ruger to inquire on the cost of it, and they haven't been released yet.  I guess that explains why we've not sen them yet.      OK, so you printed manuals saying they're available, but they're really not.    But according to them, it should be available for purchase next month sometime.  They didn't have a price on them yet, but since I doubt they'll be that much more than a standard replacement barrel I asked what a standard barrel costs.  Answer, $26.  So even if the threaded barrel is twice the cost of the standard (doubtful), it'll be an inexpensive upgrade.  

I did consider the GSG and forgot to mention it, thanks for reminding me.  Seems most people are pretty happy with it too.
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 7:10:34 AM EDT
[#3]
I'll put my vote on the buckmark
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 9:19:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Ruger MKIII all day for me, reliable & quiet. I had a Buckmark and P22, both where fine guns, but I didn't like either over the Ruger. I hear a lot about the GSG 1911, but haven't tried any of the 1911-22's yet.
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 4:01:47 PM EDT
[#5]
22/45
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 4:07:19 PM EDT
[#6]
tag

Also, I was going to post the same question today but you beat me to it.  My question is with those guns, which need raised irons to compensate for the suppressor and being able to use irons also?  Or will the sparrow still work with factory irons?

My uses for the gun will be plinking, target practice, and teaching others to shoot(with and without suppressor).   I guess I am wanting to spend no more than $400 if possible, and I don't mind getting a used gun as this won't be a gun I stress to much about
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 5:10:04 PM EDT
[#7]
22/45 for me

Factory threaded with my ss sparrow is a beautiful thing. My other pistols dont see as much use as the ruger.
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 5:45:45 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't usually vote for the Ruger, but when I do it is the Mk II or III.

Link Posted: 10/18/2012 7:27:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:My question is with those guns, which need raised irons to compensate for the suppressor and being able to use irons also?  Or will the sparrow still work with factory irons?

The sights on my MKIII 22/45's can be seen over a suppressor, the P22 I had came with different front sights and one was high enough to clear a can. I can't remember if the Buckmark sights where high enough. I guess it really all depends on the can, a lot of the newer designs are no larger than most rimfire bull barrels.

Link Posted: 10/18/2012 7:36:03 PM EDT
[#10]
M&P22.
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 7:44:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks everyone.  

Finally found all 5 guns in one shop, so went to handle them a bit this afternoon.  Here was my thoughts.

Buckmaster Camper Whisper.  Very nice ergo in my hand, I think it was the most comfortable to me. The trigger was ever-so-slightly smoother to me over the Ruger.  But it's a heavy gun!  Didn't care for sights either.
Ruger 22/45 light.  Incredibly light and ergo was a very close 2nd to the Buckmaster.  Trigger was very nice.  Didn't care much for the gold color, but it wasn't too bad.  Would still be light with the Sparrow on it.  Also didn't care for the bare sights.
Ruger Mark III.  Very nice, and good trigger.  But liked the weight of the lite a bit more.
Ruger SR22. Really liked the size.  Not as 'finished' as the 22/45, but the size makes up for it. I also like it has 3-dot sights where the others are bare black metal. But the DA trigger was, IMO, pretty bad.  SA was better, but still not as clean as the 22/45 or Buckmaster.
Walther P22.  Ok, so I'd pretty much decided not to go with it, but I wanted to see how it felt.  I liked it, too bad it seems to be hit or miss.  But honestly, I'd probably still take the SR22 over it regardless.

So at this point I'm leaning towards a 22/45 lite, though I'll admit I really don't like the look of it, it's just weird looking to me.  But hey, it's a firearm not wall art....  I do like a 3.5" barrel though.  Any 22/45 owners know if you can get 3.5 barrels?  Also I really prefer a 3-dot sight, anyone know where you can get replacements?

Lastly, IF the SR-22 trigger can be worked & smoothed, I'd really like to consider it.  Anyone done this or know of anyone who's been able to smooth out the SR22's trigger?

Quoted:
Also, I was going to post the same question today but you beat me to it.  My question is with those guns, which need raised irons to compensate for the suppressor and being able to use irons also?  Or will the sparrow still work with factory irons?

From pics I've seen and looking at the guns, it appears the Sparrow will sit below the sights.  I could be wrong though, but it does appear that way.

Link Posted: 10/18/2012 8:10:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
M&P22.

+1
I have 800 flawless rounds through mine with four different types of 22lr ammo.

The Walther P22 that I have runs very well also. Cheap and easy for you would be the 22/45 threaded...

Link Posted: 10/18/2012 8:15:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Do you have any center fire guns now that have counterpart in .22 or a .22 conversion?  My favorite host for my sparrow is my AA upper for my glock
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 4:27:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
M&P22.

+1
I have 800 flawless rounds through mine with four different types of 22lr ammo.

I've only handled the M&P22 once, and I recall it as not being the best fit in my hand.  But I'll have to give it a second chance just to be sure, it seems to get good reviews.  Thanks!

Quoted:
Do you have any center fire guns now that have counterpart in .22 or a .22 conversion?  My favorite host for my sparrow is my AA upper for my glock

Nope, unfortunately not.  Only centerfire pistols in the arsenal right now are a FNX-9, Sig P6 and a Kahr PM9.  Although, maybe this is an excuse to add another centerfire then get the .22 conversion....    Although definitely not the least expensive manner as the conversion kits run as much as the .22's themselves....
Link Posted: 10/21/2012 5:31:05 AM EDT
[#15]
So I went into the fun shop yesterday to look over the .22's again and hopefully make a decision on a .22 and walk out with one.  Very clear, concise goal, right?

Yea, that's when Murphy usually shows up...  

While looking over the .22's, ran across a nice preowned Kimber 1911.  After thinking about it a few minutes, I found myself buying it.  I've been wanting to add a .45 to the arsenal, and this loked like the right one.  So I went in looking for a .22 and walked out with a .45 - how the hel did that happen?!?!   LOL!  

Good news is this'll make the .22 question easier as I'll either go with a Sig/GSG 1911 .22 if I can find a nice preowned deal or just get the Kimber conversion kit.  I now just need to decide if I want a conversion or 2nd dedicated gun.  Once I decide that, then I'll be good. But I'll now definitely be getting a 1911-style .22

Thanks again for all the input all!  I will say that when the day comes for a 2nd .22 (yea, when, not if, that day will come) I was really leaning towards the Ruger 22/45 lite as the winner for me  (though the Beretta Neos felt like it was custom molded to my hand!)

Thanks again for the help everyone!!
Link Posted: 10/22/2012 9:45:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
22/45

Link Posted: 10/26/2012 7:14:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Given the above choices I'd go with the threaded 22/45 all day long. I've owned two P22's, an M22, S&W M&P22, and a threaded 22/45. All I own today is the M&P and the 22/45. Both run awesome suppressed or unsuppressed. I run a Mite and a Sparrow on both.
Link Posted: 10/26/2012 9:35:17 PM EDT
[#18]
S&W M&P 22... comes factory threaded. Add a $30 thread adaptor and you are off and running.
Link Posted: 10/27/2012 7:06:21 AM EDT
[#19]
I have an extensive collection of 22 pistol hosts:

My Ruger MK III 22/45 has a Gemtech threaded barrel that is brillianty crafted.
Walther P-22 that I bought with a TAC-65
Sig Mosquito
Sig P226 with threaded 22 conversion
Sig P220 with threaded 22 conversion
S&W M&P 22 pistol

The Ruger 22/45 and the S&W M&P 22 are by far the best operating with a variety of ammo.  

My walther and mosquito prefer a diet or CCI mini mags which is not the best for being as quiet as possible.

The full size sigs have had the magazine capacity expanded so they do the best for large capacity.  I haven't tried them with all the 22 ammo I have and that will be my next project.
Link Posted: 10/27/2012 6:32:49 PM EDT
[#20]
The 22/45 was designed to have the feel of a 1911 with all of the controls in the same place and same grip. Given the reliability and it is already threaded plus your comfort with the 1911 I would say it is the way to go. I love mine and it has been flawless. Now I am just saving up for the stamp and sparrow ss.
Link Posted: 10/28/2012 3:38:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
22/45

+∞
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 6:42:59 PM EDT
[#22]
I have the M&P 22 and thus far it has worked well with all ammo. Fun weapon to shoot.
Link Posted: 11/4/2012 5:19:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Browning Buckmaster Camper Whisper

Begins & ends right there, IMO. My Whisper has been boringly accurate & runs 100% with & w/o my can.

I also agree with not getting the Walther.    
Link Posted: 11/10/2012 6:29:57 PM EDT
[#24]
I went with a Packlite upper on a 22/45 lower.  Basically identical to the Ruger Lite pistol.  (got mine before they released the ruger version).  Anyhow, the Sparrow is a very compact unit and the sights work just fine over the can.  The pistol does jam once in every 3-4 magazines, but that doesn't seem to be affected by the suppressor and it is just too dang fun to shoot with the can that I can live with the odd dud.  I only shoot fed 550 rd bulk pack so hat may be some of it also

Go with he Sparrow.  I don't see how you could be unhappy.  Very quiet and serviceable.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 5:09:46 AM EDT
[#25]
A Tactical Solutions 22 conversion for your Kimber can be had with a threaded barrel.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 11:31:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
22/45 for me

Factory threaded with my ss sparrow is a beautiful thing. My other pistols dont see as much use as the ruger.

I have the same setup and absolutely love it. Best purchase I have made in a long time.

Link Posted: 11/14/2012 2:09:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Do believe I am going to get me a 22/45 Blacklite, if I can ever find one.  

Sparrow will be next on my list once I finish learning how to do the trust route on quicken
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 9:59:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 4:57:55 PM EDT
[#29]
A lot of .22LR is dirty.
The Buckmark is great but has to be re-sighted in after a deep cleaning.
The Rugers (besides the SR22) are also a pain to clean, but evidently it gets easier and a lot of people don't mind.

I prefer guns that can be easily and quickly broken down with no tools and cleaned and stay sited in.

The new Ruger SR22 is great, and there are aftermarket threaded barrels available––you can buy a threaded gun for $409 online (not threaded by Ruger).
The Walther P22 gets a bad rap because they've had some lemons, but most people have been very happy with there's...tons have put out 1000s of rounds with no issues.  I sold mine after 2K, but I never had a jam of any kind––it even cycled 60gr subsonics.  Many have gone over 4-5K with no issues (the o-ring mod helps, and some are using it with the SR22 now).
The M&P22 is getting mostly great reviews, but is a bit big––great for training if you own a center-fire M&P.
The SIG mosquito has had more lemons than Walther it seems, and I still hear mixed reviews on the newer ones (and see way too many used ones for sale).

I think the Beretta 87 cheetah, CZ kadet compact conversions, and the old, out of production S&Ws (can't remember the model number) are the best of the bunch...sadly, they're the most expensive.  

For low round count, the Ruger I&II 22/45s are fine, though I think the buckmarks I've had we're more reliable (never had one jam),  but I'd go with the SR22 and o-ring mod...they seem like they're GTG even though I only have about 400rds through mine (and its not as quiet suppressed as some of the others).
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 3:56:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Whatever you do - make sure you buy a stainless, user serviceable .22 can.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:44:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Bought the Buckmark Camper threaded version a few days ago.  Bbl is a touch shorter than 6".  I'm using the (old style aluminum) Sparrow suppressor nearly 100% of the time on it.  No ammo short poorly, but:

Federal Bulk ammo - 30% went supersonic
Blazer ammo - 10% went supersonic
Centurian hollowpoint HV - 10% went supersonic
Centurian solid point HV - 10% went supersonic

Remington subsonic was most accurate, followed by Aquila 40gr HV, CMP white box Aquila std vel, and Aquila Std Vel, none of which went supersonic.  The only ammo tried that was too weak to function was Aquila subsonic, otherwise functioning has been flawless.  I could easily hit cans at 34yd most of the time.  Did not try CCI mini mags.

Anyway, the most important part was that I wanted to let potential Buckmark Camper threaded for suppressor buyers know about was that in my example, the bulk ammo would sometimes go supersonic.  I have other firearms that like the Remington subsonic, so I have plenty of it already on hand.  My local Walmart sells it for $3.17/box of 50.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 6:10:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I don't usually vote for the Ruger, but when I do it is the Mk II or III.

I see what you did there

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 1:52:07 PM EDT
[#33]
The Walther P22 is a POS. I had to sent mine back to the factory to get it to work properly. FTF every other shot. When they sent it back, it now fires on the "safe" setting. Uses the TacSol P22 adapter.

The Ruger MKII is a workhorse. Very robust, a pain to disassemble and reassemble until you master it. The MKIII, as well. As small alteration to remove the mag safety can be made if you so desire. Further, you will have to have a gunsmith thread the barrel on a lathe.

The Buckmark is great, because the receiver is the lower portion of the gun and you can buy aftermarket threaded barrels such as TacSol. But I find it not as reliable as my Rugers. Built with too much complexity in my opinion.

Then I found the Smith & Wesson M&P 22. I cannot say enough about this firearm. It is my new favorite. I bought it on sale for $299. Uses the TacSol P22 adapter. Emulates it's big brothers in heft and function.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 6:36:54 PM EDT
[#34]
I've had the Walther, which was not dependable with any ammo and was also too small.

Tried a Buck Mark which I liked, but it just looks so goofy with a Tac-Sol barrel and the Supressor.

Then I traded the P22 for a GSG 1911 which has been great.... But, the first thread adapter came from some small company and it didn't work right. Threw the rounds almost two inches low left at 7 yards. I then bought a second one, this time fom Gem Tech and it is now perfect.

Later I traded the BM for an M&P22. It also, like the GSG1911, has been flawless. It uses the same thread adapter as the Walther.

I don't think a person would go wrong with either the GSG or the M&P22.  BM is great, but if your whole thing is suppression the other will get you there cheaper.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top