Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/24/2012 7:39:43 PM EDT
i am looking for some advice and guidance on beginingg to shoot in competition. i want to find a .22  event that my daughter and i can compete in. is there any to avoid? seek out? should we try  3 gun or steel. what is the best way to to break into the competition
Link Posted: 6/24/2012 7:42:46 PM EDT
[#1]
www.rimfirecentral.com is your friend.
Link Posted: 6/24/2012 8:13:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Speed steel and a Ruger Mark III. YMMV
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 6:43:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

What are we, idiots?  
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 7:00:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
i am looking for some advice and guidance on beginingg to shoot in competition. i want to find a .22  event that my daughter and i can compete in. is there any to avoid? seek out? should we try  3 gun or steel. what is the best way to to break into the competition

If I may?

Which would you & your daughter think be more fun to shoot? Steel matches obviously would be limited to just one gun, yes? Would this allow you to perhaps buy a better made gun versus having to buy a couple for 3 Gun? As they say, the devil is in the details.............    

So, for steel I would advise that "capacity" IS one's friend. This cuts down on reloads & allows the occasional miss, IMO. To the best of my knowledge, the S&W M&P .22 has a 12rd capacity & is the only one to exceed the usual 10rd capacity. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on this.

The M&P .22 is a gun I've not shot yet, so I can't comment on its accuracy (or the lack thereof). Given S&W's rep with rimfires, I can't imagine it being inaccurate though.

Another S&W model I highly recommend is the S&W 22A-1 with the target grips, IF your daughter feels comfortable with the grips. Incrediable accuracy with this gun!

Another model I suggest is the Browning Buckmark Camper with the bull barrel. Supurb accuracy coupled with 100% reliability.

Give us some more details & we might be able to help you better.

My .o2
Link Posted: 6/27/2012 8:04:45 AM EDT
[#5]

I have started teaching my 10 year old daughter how to shoot my MKIIs. I have one with a PacLite upper that I set up for her and my wife. She loves shooting steel plates.
At my local club we have falling plate matches. It is a little different from the steel challenge- our plates are side by side on a rack at 25 yards. I hop to get her interested enough that she will want to compete.
The PacLite makes the pistol light enough that she can handle it safely and effectively. I also have a reddot sight on it so she hits more often than she misses. Later I will teach her to use iron sights and fine tune the basics, but for now I think she needs hits. It's like fishing. If she doesn't catch any she will lose interest so I take her out for perch. If she doesn't get hits I think she might lose interest.

Look for some local steel matches. They are fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 5:27:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Not sure about Kansas but here in Ga, my 11 yr old and I do 22 two gun matches and have a blast. Never shot a match of any type before, just showed up with a couple 22s.

If a range doesnt allow kids to shoot, they dont get my business
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 5:34:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What are we, idiots?  

Well, RFC has entire forums dedicated to rimfire competitions/matches of all persuasions.  If you're interested in competing with a .22LR, RFC has more relevant info readily at hand than ARFCom.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 6:32:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Not sure about Kansas but here in Ga, my 11 yr old and I do 22 two gun matches and have a blast. Never shot a match of any type before, just showed up with a couple 22s.

If a range doesnt allow kids to shoot, they dont get my business

Kids are the future of our sport. Any club that doesn't actively encourage kids is shooting itself in the foot.

My club has a junior shooting program. We supply .22 rifles, ammo and coaches. One of our juniors did well at the e 2012 USA Nationals & Olympic tryouts at Fort Benning, Ga. She is 12 years old and shot a 501 on day 3.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top