Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/15/2012 8:54:30 AM EDT
I'm looking for some snapcaps so I can dry fire my S&W 617. What are you guys using? I'm hoping with frequent dryfire the DA pull will lighten up a bit.
Link Posted: 4/15/2012 3:27:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm looking for some snapcaps so I can dry fire my S&W 617. What are you guys using? I'm hoping with frequent dryfire the DA pull will lighten up a bit.

I use rimfire cases that have already been fired.
*But* you have to turn them everytime you strike them, to make sure the firing pin has a fresh area to give some resistance.
I usually get three or four hits before I replace them, but at least they don't cost anything.

Tommy T.

Link Posted: 4/28/2012 11:51:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Traditions makes some inexpensive red plastic snaps. Midway sells them they usually last for about 10 hits before they need to be tossed.
They are cheap. I always use snaps in all my rimfires. Just me being anal But why chance it?
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 3:19:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Traditions makes some inexpensive red plastic snaps. Midway sells them they usually last for about 10 hits before they need to be tossed.
They are cheap. I always use snaps in all my rimfires. Just me being anal But why chance it?

You're not being anal - you're being smart as, you should never dry fire a rimfire pistol or rifle...centerfires are good to go in terms of dry firing!

Link Posted: 4/28/2012 4:34:22 PM EDT
[#4]
The owners manual that came with my S&W 617 said that it would not damage that gun to dry fire.

This is a 10 round model perhaps 5 or 6 years old
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 9:25:25 PM EDT
[#5]
As it has been pointed out before, rimfire guns should not be dry fired. The firing pin will hit the edge of the chamber and eventually peen the material. This will then lead to extraction problems until the chamber is finish-reamed.

I use spent cartridges but drywall anchors are working well on a budget, as the knowledeable folks from RFC have established.
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 9:31:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Many rimfires are fine to dry fire.  Many are not.

If you don't know the difference, or know that your rimfire cannot be safely dry fired, use snap caps, fire cases, or #4-6 yellow drywall anchors from Home Depot.

Link Posted: 5/2/2012 4:38:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/2/2012 9:12:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Ruger .22s are designed to be safe to dryfire, so are most other modern designs.

The drywall anchor idea is a great one.

I'm going to try it out this weekend. Seems like a great, cheap alternative to the snap caps out there that don't seem work well anyway.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top