Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2010 6:07:51 PM EDT
I have found a Dan Wesson 1911 that I really like but knowing that Dan Wesson is now owned by CZ I am a bit concerned about their quality.

How to Dan Wesson guns stack up to the competition?
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 6:38:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Has CZ made anything you dislike?  I I think their 75 series pistol is simply top notch.

They make good stuff IMO.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 7:08:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Their newer stuff (2009 and later) is a lot better quality than their older stuff.

Google "1911 forum" and go to the DW section to learn more.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 8:47:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have found a Dan Wesson 1911 that I really like but knowing that Dan Wesson is now owned by CZ I am a bit concerned about their quality.

How to Dan Wesson guns stack up to the competition?

Most folks think the quality went up quite a bit once CZ took over.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 9:27:36 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
...How to Dan Wesson guns stack up to the competition?

They "stack up" quite well ... you should try one, amigo.
Dan Wesson CBOB

Dan Wesson 1911s are very tightly built and feature quality components.  My CBOB is a 2008 model, and I acquired it NIB for a little over $900.00.

Their prices have risen considerably since then ($400.00-$500.00), and the CBOB is now a limited-production model (produced for the restrictive CA market) ... the new VBOB (Valor Bobtail) has taken its place.
-BK

Link Posted: 8/27/2010 9:29:39 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Most folks think the quality went up quite a bit once CZ took over.

That seems to be the consensus.  I've never owned a "Pre-CZ" Dan Wesson 1911, but I can attest to the quality of my "Post-CZ" CBOB.
-BK

Link Posted: 8/28/2010 9:46:39 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm not an expert but in comparing my 2009 Valor to other pistols I own I would have to say the workmanship seems to be top notch.  This is consistent with the reading I've done here and on other forums as well.  In a world where you hear about the problem guns but never the perfect ones, it's surprising the few number of DW complaints you see.   DW is not a custom pistol but they do make a very nice production pistol.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:39:39 AM EDT
[#7]
They've been doing thier homework that's for sure.

The Valor looks great.  Proper sights with no front slope, can operate the slide with one hand, rear sight on kydex holster method.  No billboards, no MIM, SS barrel.

And there have been very few bad ones unlike most other factory 1911's.

My SS Valor blows my Kimber CDP away.  But at it's "semi-custom" price range it should.   Shot 300 rounds through it on it's first range trip.  No failures.  Great accuracy.  best trigger I've ever felt.    Really tight slide, as tight as they get.   Bushing is super tight.  It's a pain getting the bushing in and out it's so tight.  Sights are fast to pickup, thin front sight like a proper modern defensive pistol.  I prefer plain rear sights.  but the rear sights titium dot is so small I don't even notice it during the day.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:42:52 AM EDT
[#8]
photo review of a DW Guardian that i picked up last week.
Photo Review
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:53:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I own 2.....PM7 and a Bobtail . . . . . one of the best 1911's out there....
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:27:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a pre-CZ that is outstanding. The rare problem with CZ DW 1911's is that they are very tightly fitted and (rarely but) occasionally seize up. They fix every one one of them, and it's been a while since I even heard of that happening.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:38:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
photo review of a DW Guardian that i picked up last week.
Photo Review

Sir, you did an outstanding job of documenting.  The pictures really do DW quality justice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top