Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/1/2010 10:16:38 AM EDT
Okay... Envy of all the awesome 1911's out there finally got the best of me. I had decided to get a Rock Island 1911 as entry level pistol, then once I got to the store decided not to be a wimp and cough up the extra cash for the Kimber Custom II for my first entry into the platform. I'm very happy with the choice.

I had a pair of night sights added on the spot, bought all the ammo I could afford, and picked up another magazine, and put 200 rounds through it already. I have also ordered a nice horsehide Crossbread Super Tuck holster (I use one of these for my Glock 23 and love it).

Now what do I do!?!?!

I'm new to the platform, so I haven't the slightest clue what to do next. Any suggestions - grips, flared mag-well, etc.???? I was thinking about a set of Pachmayr American Legend grips. Anyone have experience with them? Is there another way to add finger groves?

Thanks for the help!

I'll post a better pic later...
http://gallery.me.com/odinclack/100109/IMG_0001/web.jpg?ver=12754156790001
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 10:28:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Shoot the snot out of it! If it works, and you're happy, why mess around with it? You could change out the MIM (made in mold) parts, but even that ican get pricey. Just enjoy it for now, and when you have a better understanding of what you really want to accomplish with it, then modify as needed.
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 10:52:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Shoot the snot out of it! If it works, and you're happy, why mess around with it? You could change out the MIM (made in mold) metal injection molding parts, but even that ican get pricey. Just enjoy it for now, and when you have a better understanding of what you really want to accomplish with it, then modify as needed.

click here

To the OP - enjoy the gun, buy more ammo, get training and shoot it.
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 10:59:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Agree with above, if you have ammo and magazines and a good holster you are most the way there.  I'd consider new grips as I had a Custom II and those grips suck.  Some nice grips from VZ like the Operators or Aliens would be good.

Don't get grips with "finger grooves" they ruin the look and feel of a 1911.  If you need some extra stick on the front strap try some 3M stakeboard tape.

Once you have shot the shit out of it and decided what you like/don't like about the gun or if you figure out a role for the gun then you can ask what mods to do, for now just enjoy the gun and learn how to shoot it.
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 11:11:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the words of wisdom. I think I'll just change out the grips and shoot the crap out of it as you have all suggested. Regarding the grips... I'm looking at VZ. Is there any value in having "thumb relief" in the grips?
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 11:56:18 AM EDT
[#5]
With a 1911 (or any gun), the first thing I would do is clean and lube it properly and go shoot it bone stock. You might find you have problems or you might find that adding extra doo-dads before you needed to CAUSED problems.

Good looking gun, let us know how she runs.
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 12:38:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Agree with above, if you have ammo and magazines and a good holster you are most the way there.  I'd consider new grips as I had a Custom II and those grips suck.  Some nice grips from VZ like the Operators or Aliens would be good.

Don't get grips with "finger grooves" they ruin the look and feel of a 1911.  If you need some extra stick on the front strap try some 3M stakeboard skateboard tape.

Once you have shot the shit out of it and decided what you like/don't like about the gun or if you figure out a role for the gun then you can ask what mods to do, for now just enjoy the gun and learn how to shoot it.

I'm guessing that was just a typo.
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 12:40:24 PM EDT
[#7]
The obvious answer is to buy another one of course
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 1:04:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Since you are new to the platform I'd recommend you shoot it a bunch before you change anything.  Maybe take a class or two with it.
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 1:17:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thanks for the words of wisdom. I think I'll just change out the grips and shoot the crap out of it as you have all suggested. Regarding the grips... I'm looking at VZ. Is there any value in having "thumb relief" in the grips?

The thumb relief often on the left side just behind the magazine release is to make it easier to reach and activate the magazine release without changing your grip. I have average size hands and I find that the relief on my TRP is just perfect.
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 2:15:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Don't get grips with "finger grooves" they ruin the look and feel of a 1911.  If you need some extra stick on the front strap try some 3M stakeboard tape.

Well, let's just say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder...as the old saying goes.  Personally, I think this look is awesome, but to each his own.  Nothin' bad on ya there artsohc, I just happen to like them on some things...even some 1911's.

ETA:  Forgot to mention...these are Hogue wraparounds and you'll notice the thumb relief on these as well.

Link Posted: 6/1/2010 2:16:14 PM EDT
[#11]
i have the same gun. can someone please tell me why they had to make putting the barrel nut on about the hardest thing ever? maybe that's an overstatement but jeezsum
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 3:14:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The obvious answer is to buy another one of course

This.
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 4:03:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, let's just say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder...as the old saying goes.  Personally, I think this look is awesome, but to each his own.  Nothin' bad on ya there artsohc, I just happen to like them on some things...even some 1911's.

ETA:  Forgot to mention...these are Hogue wraparounds and you'll notice the thumb relief on these as well.

http://i917.photobucket.com/albums/ad17/kittyhawkcv63/ColtS80Commander4.jpg

No offense taken, I just think they make the gun bulky (especially in CCW) and look weird.  If i wanted finger grooves I'd buy a Glock

EDIT: BTW I like your pistol...I mean I'd have to change the grips...but nothing else
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 4:04:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't get grips with "finger grooves" they ruin the look and feel of a 1911.  If you need some extra stick on the front strap try some 3M stakeboard skateboard tape.

I'm guessing that was just a typo.

thank you for fixing my typoes
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 4:46:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Buy some good magazines... Wilson's combat for example (47D)

Take a course, learn a proper modern grip technique. (this is key!)

shot it a bunch

Nice pistola BTW
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 6:46:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Field strip it, clean off all of the old lubricants, and apply a very heavy coat of oil (CLP, FP-10, Mobil One, whatever) to all of the contact surfaces.

Don't be tempted to change out any of the firecontrol components, trigger, etc.  They don't need to be upgraded.  The one part I would consider changing out is the plastic mainspring housing.  For $12 you can buy a fully machined aluminum MSH with the internal components.  It is an easy drop-in part:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=127124
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 7:01:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks guys. I appreciate all the feedback. Think I'm going to get some nice grips, so I can make it "my own" and then shoot the snot out of it until I'm really comfortable with the platform.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 7:20:46 AM EDT
[#18]
One more question... So do I understand this right. Smoother grips are typically better for everyday concealed carry? Also, what about adding stuff like flared mag-wells like the ones from wilson combat - see here? Any value there?

I'm looking into a set of Esmeralda or VZ grips.

Crap! This is why glocks are easy... You just pull it out the box and start shooting. Who cares about how it looks or about customizing it.

I got he Kimber and now I'm feeling compelled to do some to make it unique to me - NOT PIMP IT with every piece of junk I can find (that's what the AR is for! ) Just want to make it a little different for me.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 8:03:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
One more question... So do I understand this right. Smoother grips are typically better for everyday concealed carry? Also, what about adding stuff like flared mag-wells like the ones from wilson combat - see here? Any value there?

I'm looking into a set of Esmeralda or VZ grips.

Crap! This is why glocks are easy... You just pull it out the box and start shooting. Who cares about how it looks or about customizing it.

I got he Kimber and now I'm feeling compelled to do some to make it unique to me - NOT PIMP IT with every piece of junk I can find (that's what the AR is for! ) Just want to make it a little different for me.

Grips are good - such as VZ's.  I didn't realize your MSH was plastic –– that would be good to replace with metal (I had a plastic one that broke once).  Both of those parts can be "fitted to your hand."  Other than that, make it unique to you by putting "use and wear marks" on it.
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 8:52:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/2/2010 9:02:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i917.photobucket.com/albums/ad17/kittyhawkcv63/ColtS80Commander4.jpg

No offense taken, I just think they make the gun bulky (especially in CCW) and look weird. If i wanted finger grooves I'd buy a Glock

EDIT: BTW I like your pistol...I mean I'd have to change the grips...but nothing else

Ha!  Gotta remember that one.

Link Posted: 6/2/2010 9:28:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Get a good leather holster for owb.

Link Posted: 6/2/2010 9:29:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Since you are new to the platform I'd recommend you shoot it a bunch before you change anything.  Maybe take a class or two with it.

This
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top