Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2010 2:41:19 PM EDT
I just ordered a Rock Island GI and knowing how much the factory sights suck I am looking to change them first thing. I have heard mention of Kings hardball sights but havent seen any good clear pictures of any of their sights. Without machining, what options do I have with the gun? Does anyone make night sights that would work with it? Minor fitting is fine but I preferably something budget minded for now will I can get it cut and have some Novaks or something installed.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 3:16:33 PM EDT
[#1]
They are going to require front sight be staked.  I would recommend having a dovetail cut on the front and order a set of sights you will like that fit Novak cut.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 4:21:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Kings Hardball are fine, but so is the Tappan and Target sights from King's.

Since the front sight will need to be removed and the new one staked, this is the a job for a smith, unless you have the tools on hand.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 5:13:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I have RIA I picked up about a month ago I would like to change the sights on as well.  I have zero experience with the 1911 platform.

I see most say have the slide machined for dovetail and then have the sights installed.  Who would you recommend doing the work?  I do not have a reputable 1911 smith in my area.  thx in advance.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:47:13 PM EDT
[#4]
You can have the slide machined for a dovetail front sight, but it is not mandatory.

WILD WEST GUNS
7100 Homer Drive
Anchorage, Alaska 99518
Toll Free (800) 992-4570 (US only)
Phone (907) 344-4500
Fax (907) 344-4005
mailto:[email protected]

- Store Hours -
Monday through Friday, 9:00am - 6:00pm (Alaska Standard Time)
Saturdays from 10:00am - 5:00pm (Alaska Standard Time)

Visa, Mastercard, Discover and American Express Accepted
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 7:40:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Okay I've narrowed myself down between two choices. Either $100 labor in having the slide cut and another $100 roughly for XS big dots which I am a pretty big fan of, or Not cutting it and having the Trijicon 3 dot night sights with narrow front tennon installed for about $130. I have used both and certainly have nothing against a 3-dot. I just like the XS abit better, but I don't know if its worth the extra. What would you guys do?
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 7:45:19 AM EDT
[#6]
I was faced with the same issue.  I opted for a stock Colt rear sight and a stock Colt front sight.  Roughly twice the size of the GI style it came with.  Plain black, no dots.  I was trying to do a retro 1911A1 build and wanted things as close to USGI as possible while still being usable for my 54 year old eyes.  Made a huge improvement in sight picture. Cost me a total of $40, installed.  If you stay  with a staked front be sure and get the narrow tang.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top