BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2010 7:41:22 PM EDT
-My mag release sticks and doesn’t let the mag slide after releases
-The slide is sticky even though it is fully cleaned and lubed
-Rounds won’t feed
-Trigger sticks and has a hollow feel to it

I really don’t know a whole lot about 1911 and could use a little advice in theses areas
it would be greatly appreciated
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 9:01:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds familiar, when I woke up in a cold sweat I realized it was a nightmare and went back to sleep. The next morning I put my pistol back together correctly. I was going to call Colt, but got everything figured out. shoots OK now.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 5:11:48 AM EDT
[#2]
If you are not familiar with the 1911 platform I would say take it to a gunsmith and make good friends with the guy and have him teach you.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 12:46:43 PM EDT
[#3]
ok does anyone else have any information that i can do myself im a fairly good gunsmith myself i just dont know the 1911 platform but thamk you for the already mentioned advice
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 12:56:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
-My mag release sticks and doesn’t let the mag slide after releases
-The slide is sticky even though it is fully cleaned and lubed
-Rounds won’t feed
-Trigger sticks and has a hollow feel to it

I really don’t know a whole lot about 1911 and could use a little advice in theses areas
it would be greatly appreciated

Well the mag release could be malformed, the mag could be hanging on the trigger loop, or the mag could be bulging causing the hanging.  Have you tried a new mag.

Does the slide or frame have peening marks, deformed, or gouges causing the hangs?  Some of the rough spots might be able to get the stoned smooth.

Rounds not feeding what kind of ammo are you using, is the feed ramp polished?

Trigger could be related to my first commend the look being malformed or rubbing on a mag.  

Can you get more details pictures will help.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 1:33:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Is this a Colt 1911A1 or one of the various reissues put out by Colt and TALO?  Is it an original numbers matching or a parts gun?
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 2:37:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:41:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like you have the sear/trigger return/disconnector/grip safety leaf spring spring in incorrectly.

That will cause every issue you have just described. It's a bit tricky at first but once you know how it fits in there and how to install the mainspring housing you'll get the hang of it quick enough.

Pull the Mainspring housing and make sure that each finger of the leaf spring is engaging the correct component.

The finger on the far right is the grip safety return section.

The middle section pressing on the bottom, angled portion of the disconnector.

The left section engages the bottom, flat portion of the seat with the "little dog leg" riding off to the left side of the sear.

Like so: ( pic courtesy of 1911.org )

Make sure that the 90 degree bend at the very bottom of the spring ( not pictured but  where the spring rides against the frame ) locks into the small slot in the frame, and make sure it stays put as you re-assemble.

Too, make sure that before you slide the Mainspring Housing into place that you lower the hammer.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 7:13:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Need lots of pics.

+1 Just like with women.........we all know what they look like but we still like to look .

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top