Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/5/2009 3:19:02 AM EDT
Heard this claim from several folks.  Have you ever had that impression?  For the sake of discussion, this is .45 1911.  thanks.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 4:01:15 AM EDT
[#1]
It would be lighter, so hence faster, as far as easier, not sure how it would matter. Longer heavier barrel would allow quicker follow up shots (less recoil) easier to stay on target. So, IMO, a 5" would be easier to shoot. I had a lightweight champion that was horrible to get doubletaps, it was too light and recoil would bring it way off target.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 4:28:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Apples to apples, all steel.  5in is THEORETICALLY faster.  That's why the claim of the shorter setup being faster, at least for some people, is surprising to me.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 4:33:29 AM EDT
[#3]
When manipulated properly, the Lightweight Commander will allow one to make quick, accurate double-taps. I love the balance.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 5:23:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm faster with a full size, all steel.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 5:30:40 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a few of each but my Commmanders are LW. The full size steel version is faster for me due to less muzzle movement during recoil. However, I would say it could be overcome if I was more skilled. If they were both steel, I doubt there would be much difference.

If you move to an Officer vs Gov't, there is no doubt I am much faster on follow-up shots with the gov't.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:14:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Look at USPSA and what the LTD guys use.

5 inch or 6 inch slides.  If 4.5 or 4.25 was faster everyone would use that.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:49:56 AM EDT
[#7]
To each their own. I carry mines full-size and could give a shit about its weight. Hell i would not mind if it was heavier. As for the draw I could not say. It takes fractions of a second to clear the holster for both. Since I have never timed myself that question is up in the air.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:17:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Look at USPSA and what the LTD guys use.

5 inch or 6 inch slides.  If 4.5 or 4.25 was faster everyone would use that.

This makes a lot of sense; that's why I was surprised to hear otherwise from an experienced source.

I own/carry a 5in.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:24:45 AM EDT
[#9]
A LW Commander is quicker out of the holster and on target, but sucks for follow-up shots.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 9:01:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
A LW Commander is quicker out of the holster and on target, but sucks for follow-up shots.

+1, couldn't have said it better.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 9:12:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Here's your answer right here. ^^^^^^ shorter the barrel the greater the muzzle rise has been my experience.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 9:30:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Have been running an Officers stainless for 3-gun, IPSC ect. using 4.7gns Titegroup with 230gn ball. Inside 10yds there is no difference and is faster to handle for me when shooting while moving around cover. I do have to keep a pretty tite grip though to control followups.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top