Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/4/2009 11:09:50 AM EDT
I called Lighting Arms 3 weeks ago and asked about getting a VM2 for my 1911.

Got it today... Dont be mad if you are waiting 8 months.... but 3 weeks was a great turn around...
Got a question regarding the gun fitting properly... Should the gun be scraping the inside of the holster enough that leather residue is accumulating
on top of the barrel. (by the ejection port on the slide)?
and what does blocking out of the holster mean if it is to tight? It was in the instructions...  ETA: (found it on the website.  It means to take the plastic bag the holster came in and put your gun inside the bag and then holster the bag around your gun

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 11:21:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks like a terrific carry.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 11:22:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I called Lighting Arms 3 weeks ago and asked about getting a VM2 for my 1911.

Got it today... Dont be mad if you are waiting 8 months.... but 3 weeks was a great turn around...
Got a question regarding the gun fitting properly... Should the gun be scraping the inside of the holster enough that leather residue is accumulating
on top of the barrel. (by the ejection port on the slide)?
and what does blocking out of the holster mean if it is to tight? It was in the instructions...
http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab211/levigarrett93/IMG_0482.jpg
http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab211/levigarrett93/IMG_0481.jpg
http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab211/levigarrett93/IMG_0480.jpg

Can't answer your question, sorry. I'm still waiting the 8 months for mine. Black Horside with Sharkskin trim and sharkskin belt. I would like to add this to your OP. Milt Sparks has a distributor for the VM2 and encourages customers to go through distributor. I didn't get the name (assuming Lighting Arms is distributor) because of extra requests made. You pay a little more, but like you've found you get your holster a lot quicker..... Milt Sparks tells you up front there is no need in a long wait if you will take distributor stock. I don't know why Sparks isn't shipping VM2s to Brownells since they carry Spark's Summer Special.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 11:29:34 AM EDT
[#3]
1911Smith

I paid $125 for the holster.
From Milt they go for $110
Do you guys put any leather treatment on the holster?
This is my first IWB Leather Holster.  Sorry for being a newbie
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:03:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Blocking is the process of putting the gun inside a ~4mil plastic bag and then holstering it for a period determined by how much you want to stretch the leather. Less is more. Can be a few minutes to a few hours.

The bag your holster came in usually works.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:10:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
1911Smith

It will be the best IWB holster you'll ever own and need to own. Enjoy knowing I'm going the wait and envious.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:41:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

1911Smith

No.  The bag trick will loosen it up enough.  Using mink oil or leather conditioner can make the leather too pliable and the holster gets too weak/loose.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:48:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Blocking is the process of putting the gun inside a ~4mil plastic bag and then holstering it for a period determined by how much you want to stretch the leather. Less is more. Can be a few minutes to a few hours.

The bag your holster came in usually works.

I have been using MS holsters since the late 80's and fwiw I have never had to "block" one...especially what appears to be a straight vanilla 1911, you might try slightly opening the top it is metal lined and will take a set to help loosen or tighten, but the rest usually fits just right....any day now i should have my new SS2 for my Operator.....oh the goodness....
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 1:13:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 1:32:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Looks like a terrific carry.

The VM2 certainly is.  Sitting at work right now with a NHC GRP in a VM2 and I have a VM2 for both an HK UPSc and Sig P229.  I wouldn't have it any other way...
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:39:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Holster the gun and put under the seat of a car for a while.

(Obviously this advice is seasonal if you're not in FL)
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:27:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Put it on about 2 hours ago and it wears great.  It is adjusting to my body well.  I do have it the bag in the holster.
After 75 -100 draws the holster is still so tight that I have to yank pretty damn hard.  Just for the record I am not a wimp.
5'11" 195lbs and work out at the gym 5 days a week using heavy weights.

Its just like my wife... Little stiff but will break in with time
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:37:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Reminds a little of an Alessi CQC-S that I am going to use to carry an SA Mil-Spec (When it gets back home from the hos-pistol!) It is also so tight that there are fine leather shavings on the bushing and trigger guard. I can't even remove the gun when it's strapped on.  It's actually comical watching me try.

I remember the same thing when I got a CQC-S for my commander-sized rail gun. It finally loosened up, and draws beautifully now.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 5:13:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Reminds a little of an Alessi CQC-S that I am going to use to carry an SA Mil-Spec (When it gets back home from the hos-pistol!) It is also so tight that there are fine leather shavings on the bushing and trigger guard. I can't even remove the gun when it's strapped on.  It's actually comical watching me try.

http://www.christopherjhoffman.com/images/DSCN0421small.jpg

I remember the same thing when I got a CQC-S for my commander-sized rail gun. It finally loosened up, and draws beautifully now.

Before the Bag trick that is what I was experiencing.. Now it seems to be much better...

I will be wearing it to work tomorrow for the first time out in public.... I cant wait...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top