Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/3/2009 10:48:53 AM EDT
So, I turned my Warrior in to a local gun shop to be checkered on the front strap and bottom of the trigger guard as well as getting a new paint job on the frame. I was told it would take about 20 days to be finished, maybe two weeks, three max. This was on September 8th. It's been around seven weeks now; I called yesterday (again) and was finally told that the shop that they had sent it to (in another state) to have the work done must just be running behind with no other explanation offered to me. At what point would I be reasonably pissed about this? I understand that work schedules can change, but nearing three times the length estimated is a bit much in my opinion. I've been thinking about calling the shop they sent it to and just telling them to ship it back in its current state, I could have checkered and refinished the damn thing easily by now, and for cheaper.

So, should I just chill with this or what, am I being unreasonable if I start calling every other day demanding new info?

How long have you guys had to wait on things like this?
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 10:58:09 AM EDT
[#1]
For "good" work sometimes it takes awhile.  You start rushing and then they screw up.  I would just relax sometimes the 1911 smiths get backed up but that usually means they are good because plenty of people send them stuff to work on.  I know people that have waiting 3 months for a good job or even 7 is the most for a full job on a 1911.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 11:33:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I've got a pistol out for machining that should have been back a month ago... I waited 6 months for a custom set of grips from Norway. When that pistol does get back..In a month. I could rush it and I know I won't like the result if I do... Any way when it gets back it's going to another machine shop and I know he'll have it for a month to do a couple hours work. Not including set up and software time and then I'll probably be 3 months more waiting for the gun's finish work. Patience produces results usually. For what it's worth I pay as I go and or prepay all of my work so you would think it would go quicker.... not. Good Luck.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 11:46:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Patience, grasshopper. I've been waiting 11 months for two of my barrrels to get re-profiled by ar15barrels.com. The waiting does suck though.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 11:47:40 AM EDT
[#4]

If it's a good shop they are likely backlogged. It sucks, but that's how it is. Many smiths send the pisols to shops that specialize in certain services, checkering is one of them. Since they specialize in that service the chances of having a good job is increased. The front strap often varies in shape, which requires a certain amount of expertise to correct any problems.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 12:31:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes all this... just remember to do your lamas when you start feeling frustrated
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 12:37:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:28:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I understand the frustration of asking for a timeline and then not adhering to it.  I'd prefer the shop simply say "you get it when it's done."  That's why I stopped asking for timelines.  Depending on what I want, I will call once every other week just to get updates (it's amazing how often the gun will be back and they just didn't bother to call me yet) but otherwise it's a sit and wait situation.  Wait till you get the finished product, then decide if it was worth the wait.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:55:04 PM EDT
[#8]

Welcome to the world of custom pistol-smithing, some of us wait 1+ years just to get our pistols onto the bench.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:12:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Your in this deep and starting over will frustrate you that much more. As a pistolsmith who does machine work for a few others, I can assure you that MOST shops pull their hair out to get things done on time. In this world of custom pistols it could be something as simple as waiting for a new cutter that broke, a fix that was unexpected, etc.

We as gunsmiths get a sorta deserved bad rap based on unforeseen circumstances. I suspect the more patient that you are, the more those guys will bust a hump to get you done.

I waited for twelve weeks for a new cutter once, vendor didnt have it in stock and my regrinds were six weeks out. and most of our cutters are specialty items.
we try and keep spares, but sometimes the work is flowing and you dont realize youve run out of back ups.
Ive been lucky having most of what I need in house. Took 20 years  to get there though
Just food for thought.

Chuck Warner
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 3:41:50 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

...So, should I just chill with this or what, am I being unreasonable if I start calling every other day demanding new info?

How long have you guys had to wait on things like this?

I know the feeling. While I understand that you often have to wait for good thing (and I have !), it is better that you are told up front or contacted when things get off schedule. Communication is VERY important in things like this. To not do so is BS, plain and simple.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:00:51 AM EDT
[#11]
well said.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:22:36 AM EDT
[#12]
EGW states they only front strap checking something like every 6 months.  I guess they wait untill they have enough to warrent set up and machine time.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 9:44:27 AM EDT
[#13]
the pistol will arrive when the student is ready.  or in your case, has patience.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top