Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/1/2009 9:27:31 AM EDT
Just thought I'd share with you.  Went to the range today with my Colt Series 70 reissue.  The gun was purchased in 2006, and while not my most prolific shooter has been taken to the range a decent amount and carried with semi-regularity.  

After today's range session the gun has 3764 rounds through it.  It gets cleaned every time it's shot, gets a new shockbuff every 500 rounds (yes, I know most of you hate those - please don't rant to me about it as I don't care), and a new 18.5# recoil spring every 1-1.5k (yes, that's early I know).  It does not get dry fired very often and on the occasions that I do dry fire for extended periods I use a snap cap.

During the range session at some point the firing pin stop appears to have sheared in half.  I had no idea and just kept on shooting.  Only when I got home to clean it did I notice.  I did notice that I was getting a few stovepipes during the session, but I attributed that to my dirty, nasty underpowered handloads.  I now believe that it was likely due to the firing pin stop breaking and allowing the extractor claw to shift.  Despite this, it still ran at around 99.5%.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a replacement firing pin stop?  I realize I could send it to Colt, but it seems like such a hassle for an easy to replace part.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 9:56:36 AM EDT
[#2]

That was what I was going to recommend.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 10:00:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Too much more broken off of it and you might have had a firing pin to the face!
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 10:06:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I was thinking that.  I guess that's why we wear glasses when we shoot.  It's a good reminder.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 10:06:47 AM EDT
[#5]

Will I need to bevel the edge on that or is it GTG as is once I fit it in there?
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 10:10:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Will I need to bevel the edge on that or is it GTG as is once I fit it in there?

Yes, you will need to radius the bottom on the EGW oversize FPS.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 10:25:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 11:01:40 AM EDT
[#8]
EGW-very good and strong part. I have one installed on my Springfield. Yes, you will need to file a slight bevel. Or, when you order the part from EGW they can put a bevel on there for free, just ask.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 1:41:10 PM EDT
[#9]
I was just thinking - how is this particular Colt part made?

The break is very smooth - not sharp like a crack.  Reminds me somewhat of those rocks you find at the beach.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 2:19:41 PM EDT
[#10]
MIN?

EGW will need to be fitted, but you can't purchase a better part.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:51:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, you will need to radius the bottom on the EGW oversize FPS.

You don't need much more than to break the edge.  Browning's original patent drawing shows a square corner.  (The drawing even showed that the plunger tube spring was purposefully kinked!)
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:59:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was thinking that.  I guess that's why we wear glasses when we shoot.  It's a good reminder.

No doubt.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:34:03 AM EDT
[#13]
After today's range session the gun has 3764 rounds through it. It gets cleaned every time it's shot, gets a new shockbuff every 500 rounds (yes, I know most of you hate those - please don't rant to me about it as I don't care), and a new 18.5# recoil spring every 1-1.5k (yes, that's early I know). It does not get dry fired very often and on the occasions that I do dry fire for extended periods I use a snap cap.

Even if you never cleaned this up to this point and only oiled it, this should not have happened.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:06:32 AM EDT
[#14]
I had the same issue on one of my Hi-Powers.  Seems like a strange part to break, but it does happen
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:23:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
MIN?

EGW will need to be fitted, but you can't purchase a better part.

Not MIM. Yes, get the EGW! I did and I love it. Put one on my lightweight Commander and my NRM S80.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top