Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/1/2009 8:24:15 AM EDT
So I disasembled my pt1911 last night.  I was going to clean it but then i ended up having to go out for a bit so i was going to put it back together and do it later on.   Whenever i tried to put the slide back on, it stops right after the disconecter passes the rear of the slide.  I've even tried putting the empty slide on b/c i thought it might be the barrel bushing getting stuck or something.  No luck still does the same thinkg.  I've looked it over and best i can tell the parts that are rubbing are right here in these pics, any ideas?  Also in the first pic there is a slight Ridge that i circled should that be there? This looks to be what is rubbing. And in the second pic i circled where it looks like it's rubbing on the slide.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:35:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Is there a ridge there when you run your finger on the frame?  Have you tried to dress this down?
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:39:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Yea, it's a solid ridge that can be felt with my finger.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:46:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:51:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Is this something i can take a dremel to and flatten out or am i going to have to send it out for repair?   I just didn't know if the frame had bent just a little in that spot up to make the ridge if it would hurt the operation of the gun.  If i dremel it it won't take any length of of where it is now just the ridge.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 9:29:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 9:57:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Do not let the hammer fall without the slide in place,or you will damage the frame like in your picture.

Strip the pistol,and dress that area smooth with a file or stone.The wear on the underside of the slide looks like it's from the damaged area in front of the hammer rubbing the slide on recoil.That should not be a problem.After you address the frame issue,the slide should move freely back and forth.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 10:36:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys, i'll be trying to correct this shortly.  I appreciate all the help!
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:10:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Same thing on my new Taurus.  For me this was a manufacturing defect, I have never dropped the hammer without the slide present.  It was a very square ridge where you could clearly tell that machining step was either not finished or performed incorrectly.  I also found a gigantic burr in the slide stop hole, and a few other little things that don't impact the function of the gun but lead me to believe they don't have the best QC in the world.

Manual cycling of the slide felt very "rough" and sometimes when dropping the slide release it wouldn't go fully into battery.   Under live fire the gun cycled and fed just fine, despite this problem.

I stoned off the high spot, cleaned and lubed and now she is running like a real champ  

I got rid of the factory mags after my first range trip.  One worked fine, the other one would not reliably lock the slide back on empty and would not drop free.  I'm not sending them back to get fixed and don't trust either of them even though the one works fine.  Power Mags solved that problem.

I still think this is a great gun for the money, but would not recommend it to anyone who isn't willing to deal with this sort of stuff themselves or send it back to Taurus and wait for them to fix it under warranty.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 10:45:45 AM EDT
[#9]
My own personal experience. Nothing takes the place of a quality set of files. I've found using my dremel in place of a file not to be all that smooth.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 12:15:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I own a dremel, but prefer to use files and paper when possible.  I can get my slef into trouble with a dremel dam fast.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 12:42:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Isn't the Taurus 1911 a series 80?   Often people have a hard time with the series 80 if the tilt it and the plunger lever tips up and blocks the slide.  The plunger lever is to the right side of the frame between the hammer and disconnector when looking down from the top.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top