Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2009 12:17:14 AM EDT
Well, after moving to Hawaii from Rhode Island and not shooting for probably over a year I finally got out this week and went shooting.

I took my SA G.I. YB-Enhanced out and shot 100rds. This little outing was expiensive. $15-range, $28.50-PMC 50rds x 2 and 1-Target= $75+. But, it was worth it just to finally get out and shoot. Also, a Huge Thank You to Ridewaves who hooked me up with the range and for letting me shoot his sweet AR too. The range was small and the booths were very narrow. I was jumpy and could see that I was anticipating shots. The gun performed great, but did have two FTE's where the second to last expent casing would get stuck between the breech and chamber (basically the casing was caught facing as it would during feeding, but up high when being ejected). This happend with the same magazine. The mag in question was a CMC Powermag with a Tripp upgrade kit installed. I had two set up this way. Luckily, I brought 2-Wilson 47D's which always work! Overall, I had a good time and when I did my part the gun definately did theirs. Many shots were touching, usually this presented as 3-4 shots making one, large, lateral hole.

I am now no longer going to use the Tripp set up. The mag in question was VERY STIFF and the seventh round just didn't want to fit. My malfunctions were due to an over sprung mag. I do think that they are a quality product and a great company with equally great customer service, but I do not trust this set up. I also have never experienced the 'Internet issues' of the 47D's not locking the slide back or failing at all. I'm not saying it doesn't or can not happen. I just think that the internet has built this up more than actual cases have. What I have used before was a Metalform rounded follower in a CMC. This worked great in both my 1911's and this is how the CMC are now set up. Eventually, I will by some more 47D's and at least to Wilson conversion kits to return my CMC's to 8rds. I really like the CMC mag tubes construction, but hate the original follower. Below are pics of the CMC with the rounded follower...

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:21:10 AM EDT
[#1]
This is why you need to run many rounds through every magazine before considering it a GTG magazine.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:55:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
This is why you need to run many rounds through every magazine before considering it a GTG magazine.

Agreed. This also why there is no true "Best" magazine. Every gun is different and every gun needs to be shot and tested.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:40:45 AM EDT
[#3]
The only advice I can give is start reloading and find a public range. For $75 bucks I can shoot probably 700rds.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:01:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The only advice I can give is start reloading and find a public range. For $75 bucks I can shoot probably 700rds.

Yep, there's an outdoor range on the other side of Diamondhead that I'm going to next. In a few I'm going to stop by one the local shops and pick up some things. I also want to price their ammo. I may start buying in bulk online and reloading.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top