Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2009 8:38:21 PM EDT
Got my first 1911 today. Springfield Armory 1911A1 mil-spec. Shot well, no malfunctions, but did shot low. so what do I change first?
oh here it is.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:47:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I would say shoot it some more and then decide. You can swap grips, or you can dump thousands of dollars into it. Get some trigger time and figure out what is important. My first 1911 was a bare-bones Les Baer TRS. I learned a lot from owning it. It improved my taste for my second pistol and I was able to appreciate better the features that I upgraded to. This Mil-Spec is the same way. Shoot it, figure out what you like, figure out what you think needs to change, and then call someone like Mr. Miller and get it done (unless you decide that...nothing needs doin' )
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:09:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I think that's a great entry level 1911. I had a Springfield GI and didn't like the sites. I got it for WWII nostalgia reasons. The sites on your gun are better. My advise is to hold off on changes until you've discovered what you want to change. In other words, don't change the gun so that others will slap you on the back with approval, but be aggressively independent and change only what you find you'd like changed to fit your shooting needs. It might be sites, it might be grips, it might be that you want to change the safety lever. But whatever it becomes, it'll be what you discovered through handling and shooting what you want to change.

GL
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:21:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Good buy!

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:33:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks good!
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:31:36 AM EDT
[#5]
try some other loads...perhaps the one you used cause the low shots...shoot it some more and decide what you must have or just want...it needs nothing but you might want something...enjoy...Mil Specs are a nice deal I think and they look great in Park'd finish...wish I had not bought stainless for mine...

Bill
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:25:23 AM EDT
[#6]
+1 for shoot it first. A few hundred rounds will give you an idea of things like trigger bite, trigger pull, accuracy, etc. Try to shoot other 1911s  to compare it to.  Read and research.

here is my SA mil-spec

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:04:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Sweet!  Looks like you got an "NM" serial numbered one, too?  

Unless you've got specific ideas of what you want, the only thing I would change is the round count, things that you want to have changed should start to become apparent as you shoot it, and you can decide what you *need* and what you don't.  Of course, if you just want to change things, there's nothing wrong with it either, make it yours, Milspecs are great starting points!  

~Augee
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:21:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Got my first 1911 today. Springfield Armory 1911A1 mil-spec. Shot well, no malfunctions, but did shot low. so what do I change first?
oh here it is.
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff70/eques_02/m1911.jpg
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff70/eques_02/m1911a1.jpg

....ammo......
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:56:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Only things I'd change:

Trigger job with polished sear/hammer/disconnector
flat MSH
new grips

Later, maybe a new rear sight
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:41:45 PM EDT
[#10]
I would leave that  1911 as is..................Looks super!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top