Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2009 7:42:22 PM EDT
So the only thing I don't know about is the external extractor. Are they reliable? There isn't much chatter on ar15.com on them.

I was looking at SKU: 108285

Looks like a great gun, but what do I know it will be my first 1911.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:51:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Do they take standard mags?
Its in between a S&W and a SA loaded. Which one would be more reliable?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:53:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a stainless, with adjustable sights. I have carried it on and off duty, shot several matches with it; one of which I was able to score 2nd in Masters , and have put 2-3K through it so far.

The only, I repeat, only, malfunction I have had with it, was during a match. My first shot failed to eject, causing a jam of the likes I have not seen before. It cost me about 4.5 seconds, but I was still able to clear and move on. It hasn't happened since. I don't know, to this day, what caused it. I was using Wilson 47D 8 rounders, Winchester 230gr FMJ, and the gun was clean and oiled.

I find my trigger is crisp, not too light, with great reset. It is accurate, has been reliable, besides the one fluke, and have carried in all conditions but snow. I trust it. I plan on getting the scandium model at some point in my future.....
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:00:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:04:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I really can't tell a difference between my Smith and my Springer Operator's trigger. They're both really nice.......
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:11:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Over and above the proprietary external extractor they use a swartz (Kimber) style firing pin block. I like neither

I have read most of your post and you seem to know what you are talking about. But this will be my first 1911(own xd8 and feghipower) it will most likely not be my last. So, would I run into issues down the road with the S&W when I want to mod it? I would like it to be my main carry piece as well.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:34:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

S&W  1911's only take s&w mags. I have one and it sucks paying 30$ a mag instead of 8$ for standard mags from a gunshow.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:44:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

S&W  1911's only take s&w mags. I have one and it sucks paying 30$ a mag instead of 8$ for standard mags from a gunshow.

Uh, what?  I have five Wilson 47Ds, two Novak's, and a CMC 10-rounder that work fine in my Smith & Wesson 1911PD Gunsite pistol.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:04:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong, Wrong, Wrong and did I mention Wrong!

A S&W 1911 will take ANY standard 1911 mag, but like all 1911s it might like some more than others, nature of the beast.

One caveat though and this has to do with a alloy frame and not S&W in particular.  You do not want to use a mag with a follower that is not solid, it will damage the feed ramp.

The Swartz safety does not tend to give people the warm fuzzies, it is a solution in search of a problem.

Now, as far is the external extractor goes, it works, plain and simple (Kimber not withstanding).

If you want to argue that it is not traditional, fine, but the fact is there is not a damn thing WRONG with an (S&W) external extractor.

I have several Browns, a SA and a Colt, my daily carry gun is a S&W1911PD.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:44:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong, Wrong, Wrong and did I mention Wrong!

A S&W 1911 will take ANY standard 1911 mag, but like all 1911s it might like some more than others, nature of the beast.

One caveat though and this has to do with a alloy frame and not S&W in particular.  You do not want to use a mag with a follower that is not solid, it will damage the feed ramp.

The Swartz safety does not tend to give people the warm fuzzies, it is a solution in search of a problem.

Now, as far is the external extractor goes, it works, plain and simple (Kimber not withstanding).

If you want to argue that it is not traditional, fine, but the fact is there is not a damn thing WRONG with an (S&W) external extractor.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3365/3412856131_eff9d07ace_b.jpg

Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:20:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:46:20 AM EDT
[#11]
I have to agree with SGB, I too prefer a 'traditional' 1911.

Although the S&W is by no means my favorite 1911, it has earned my respect for performance as a daily beater.

My reasons for choosing it most days is that it is dependable as hell, and I like the alloy Commander frame.

If Brown made a alloy Commander, then I probably would not have bought the S&W.

Having said that, if not mired in what would JMB do? Then the S&W is a fine weapon.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:11:05 AM EDT
[#12]
what are you talking about?  you have no clue.  i have never had a mag not work in a smith from any manufacturer.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:52:04 AM EDT
[#13]
I have that same pistol...

It's been 100% reliable... I have just over 3k rnds in the pistol now. I put VZ grips and a short trigger on it.

I'm not a fan of the firing pin safety... but I haven't had any problems with mine. I plan on removing them eventually.

The external extractor on my SW1911's have been solid, no issues.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:53:03 AM EDT
[#14]

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3365/3412856131_eff9d07ace_b.jpg

I thought smith puts a steel ramp in place so you can use the non polymer followers.  I have been looking at this exact model though as a carry piece for my wife though.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 12:26:24 PM EDT
[#15]
It does not need to be a polymer follower.

Regardless of the material the follower is made from, it simply needs to have a solid smooth 'front',

BTW, my 1911PD does not have a steel feedramp.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 12:29:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where the hell are you getting that from? I've got one and use Wilson mags. You can use USGI stuff if you want.

The Swartz safety can be easily removed if you so desire.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 12:51:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Mine works just fine.

I had the S&W custom shop do a trigger job and I would absolutely recommend it.
The trigger was good out of the box and much better when they got done with it.

I would make sure the trigger pull weight was what you wanted if you want to use it as your CCW pistol.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:34:49 PM EDT
[#18]
SW 1911s take std. 1911 mags

imo, they are very decent guns, if you can get past the internal safety and the external extractors
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:15:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for all the input guys.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top