Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2009 6:54:11 PM EDT

I want to buy them for a gift to someone whos very religious. Im just wondering if theyre appropriate or tacky. I like them myself.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:04:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm pretty hostile towards organized religion, but those are badass.

GO!

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:19:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm pretty open towards organized religion, but those are tacky.  

No Go.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:25:16 PM EDT
[#3]
GO.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:35:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Pretty neat. I voted GO!

GOD bless the usa.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:50:42 PM EDT
[#5]
My only problem is that I can barely see the crusifix through all the scale pattern. Maybe it'd stand out better on smooth wood? The idea of the grips is GO for me though (from a guy who has pimp ass pearl grips.)
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:38:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Tacky.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:28:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Extra tacky.  Looks like grips from one of those pistols they take off Mexican cartel members.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:59:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Is your friend Catholic? If not, a simple cross might be better.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:26:23 AM EDT
[#9]
a simple cross would be better.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:15:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
a simple No cross would be better.

Fixed it for you.  Crosses should be treated with respect, and in my opinion, this isn't the place.

YMMV, as they say.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:58:23 AM EDT
[#11]
These look much better.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:16:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
a simple cross would be better.

First thing that sprung to my mind as well.

The post right above mine are actually quite lovely.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:50:52 AM EDT
[#13]
I don't know, you might want to get him a gift cert and let him choose, as a gift. Custom grips are a very personal thing.

If he doesn't lke them and doesn't use them, you will be offended, or if he doesn't them like them but puts them on so as not to offend you, he will not really be happy. just because someone is religious doesn't neccessarily mean they want icons on their gear.

I'd say a gift certificate to Esmerelda's Grips or something like that. He'll find something he likes and you'll both be happy.
She has all sorts including crosses and the like.

Just my take on it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:58:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Would you give him a Bible with a 1911 on the cover?

Tacky, disrespectful, borderline sacreligious.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:53:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Since the time of troglodytes weapons have been inscribed with religious symbols.  I don't think it's tacky.  It is very Latin and if that is the cultural reference you're looking for, more power to you.  Those particular grips look well made.  These communicate piety.  Of course, that begs the question of what some other grips communicate.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:06:35 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Would you give him a Bible with a 1911 on the cover?

Tacky, disrespectful, borderline sacreligious.

Whats your take on the many swords and shields with crosses on them from the Anglo Saxons.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:54:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Those grips look fabulously done.  But...

Is your friend Catholic? Otherwise those Esmerelda grips with the Celtic cross might be a much better choice.
Mind telling us where they come from, the workmanship is outstanding, and I'd love to see what else they have?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:20:21 PM EDT
[#18]
"The crucifix is also used as an amulet by Christians. It is considered by some to be one of the most effective means of averting or opposing demons"

i would say the .45 is used to oppose demons also...seems like a good match to me...
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:23:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
These look much better.

http://www.esmeralda.cc/sn29484.jpg

Now, you're talkin'
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:49:22 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Those grips look fabulously done. But...

Is your friend Catholic? Otherwise those Esmerelda grips with the Celtic cross might be a much better choice.

Mind telling us where they come from, the workmanship is outstanding, and I'd love to see what else they have?

Those I posted are from Esmeralda. And my friend is Anglican so Celtic really doesnt work.

I cant tell but from the pic I thought the crucified Christ is subdued. You have to really look to see it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:52:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Resident atheist.

For what they are, they look nicely done.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:37:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Extra tacky.  Looks like grips from one of those pistols they take off Mexican cartel members.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:45:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They aren't tacky, just not my cup of tea.

I can understand what you are trying to achieve Beltfed, and I know you probably would not choose to put these on your gun, so I guess my only concern would be is this your buddy's style?  If I bought this for my best friends 1911 he'd pistol whip me with them.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:48:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Ironic
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:24:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Tacky.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:37:37 AM EDT
[#26]
I don't care for them but it's YOUR money.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:10:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

thats about it there......
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:21:52 AM EDT
[#28]
I agree with the thought that whether they are in poor taste or great taste they might not agree with his taste. As for the two styles shown in the thread the second appeals to me more than the first. The first looks like a bad tattoo on sun cracked skin.

GL
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:01:16 PM EDT
[#30]
I'll find another gift, in fact I did a Ka Bar will do fine I think. Since I bought more of them than I can use lately it will save me some money as well.

I dont find these as bad as Punisher grips or those naked Rebel chick plastic ones on eBay but Im just kind of hesistant to get something like these. Im not one that wears my religion on my sleave and Im kind of unsure what others think is appropriate as well.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:04:14 AM EDT
[#31]
I kind of like those naked rebel chick grips, but I don't actually own a pair.  Micarta is what I usually spring for when I buy some thing different, though I have cursed my cheap nature for not letting me buy actual ivory.

As far as relligious symbols on pistols, it is not to my taste.  Not that it is wrong, just not my taste.  I don't care for the punisher grips either.

Things were simpler back in the day.  You just put on a pair of Pachmayr grips and that was it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:43:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'll find another gift, in fact I did a Ka Bar will do fine I think. Since I bought more of them than I can use lately it will save me some money as well.

I dont find these as bad as Punisher grips or those naked Rebel chick plastic ones on eBay but Im just kind of hesistant to get something like these. Im not one that wears my religion on my sleave and Im kind of unsure what others think is appropriate as well.

Completely agree, however I'm now tagging this for the rabid comic book readers....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top