Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2009 12:50:27 PM EDT
I had the chance to buy a Norinco 1911 at a gun show  that had a bunch of parts installed .they were all brand name stuff like clark and wilson . long ,long time ago i bought a parts gun at the same show and it never worked right. I sold it and took a bath on it.

So is a stock gun with a bunch of parts worth buying without shooting it??
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 12:56:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 12:59:51 PM EDT
[#2]
sorry,let me rephrase it. Its a gun with a lot of aftermarket parts on it. I'm leary as the 1911 platform,the parts need to be fitted sometimes and who knows who did the install on  the parts.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 1:16:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 4:02:38 PM EDT
[#4]
A couple of thoughts on this scenario:

1) If the slide, barrel and frame are all Norinco, it's not a "parts gun" but rather a "modified Norinco."

2) The other parts are then worth a premium or discount to the base price of a good used Norinco ($400 to $450) based on whether you find them desirable mods, or you really don't want them and would have preferred the original configuration.

I have a Norinco pretty much stock except I installed a Videcki long trigger, Caspian sear/disconnector, Colt commander hammer and a high-ride Caspian beavertail.  I put in a flat rubber-coated Pachmary MSH for comfort and grip.  The gun has a superb trigger now and shoots great.  I'd maybe take $650 for it as it would take that much to recreate the gun or find one that shoots remotely as nicely.  I probably couldn't get offered over $450 for it, so I'm not selling it.

If you wonder how well the parts were installed, then check them out. Examine the fit and finish, look at how they are wearing, and run the gun through a pre-purchase safety inspection.  Figure out what the gun is worth to you as it sits.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 4:38:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I've NEVER shot a gun before buying it. I'd do a safety check on it, if it fails, then I'd try to get it dirt cheap and fix it myself. Ask if you can dry fire it. (make absolutly certain it is empty!) Rack the slide, dry fire, but KEEP the trigger pulled back, rack slide again, hammer should stay back, release trigger, pull again, hammer drops, good. Cock hammer, pull trigger without touching the grip safety, hammer should not fall, or move, applie thumb safety, grip as normal, pull ARD on trigger, hammer should not move, release thumb safety, hammer should stay. Now you know everything works, question will only be if it cycles live ammo.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:06:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top