Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/31/2009 8:37:50 AM EDT
I just bought Gran Torino on Blu Ray yesterday and as I watched it, I found myself wondering what type of 1911 Clint was wielding. In theaters, I was sure I saw a Springfield logo on the right side of the slide and believed it to be a Mil Spec. I'm going to watch it again and see if I can get a better angle on it. If any of you guys know already that would be nice to know.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 8:43:23 AM EDT
[#1]
GI?
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 8:44:19 AM EDT
[#2]
my guess would be a GI also
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 8:44:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Probably a USGI M1911A1 since he was in Korea...

Or at least a look alike of an M1911A1.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 8:50:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Yea I was thinking Mil Spec or GI.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 9:01:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Worn polished blue finish, white barrel hood, small GI sights.

My guess would be an original Series 70.

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 9:02:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Worn polished blue finish, white barrel hood, small GI sights.

My guess would be an original Series 70.

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/8/81/GT-M1911A1-4.jpg/800px-GT-M1911A1-4.jpg
http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/c/c3/GT-M1911A1-3.jpg/800px-GT-M1911A1-3.jpg

Good call, I didn't remember the specifics.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 9:57:56 AM EDT
[#7]
I just slowed it down and it has the same thumb safety as the original 1911a1. I'll keep looking.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 10:04:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Colt M1911A1

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 10:25:01 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm with Lumpy on this one.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 10:32:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Ok after scanning through the movie I finally was able to freeze this frame. I zoomed in, and as you can see, Colt is marked on the slide. Seeing this marking leads me to believe that it is not an original A1 and clearly not a Springfield. I need help from some Colt connoisseurs. Considering the thumb safety is identical to the original A1, what model is this? From what I have seen, Series 70's do not have the original thumb safety.

Also, look at the mainspring housing. Its not curved.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 12:33:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Seems to me that the closest thing I could find would be a Colt 1991.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 12:45:42 PM EDT
[#12]
The crown on my original series 70 is blued, not polished.

Those blown up pictures look like a pre 70's commercial??
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 1:15:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The crown on my original series 70 is blued, not polished.

Those blown up pictures look like a pre 70's commercial??

Thats just a low quality picture of me zooming in really closely to the image.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 1:59:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Ok after scanning through the movie I finally was able to freeze this frame. I zoomed in, and as you can see, Colt is marked on the slide. Seeing this marking leads me to believe that it is not an original A1 and clearly not a Springfield. I need help from some Colt connoisseurs. Considering the thumb safety is identical to the original A1, what model is this? From what I have seen, Series 70's do not have the original thumb safety.
http://homepage.mac.com/majnemesis/pictures/gran.png

Also, look at the mainspring housing. Its not curved.
http://homepage.mac.com/majnemesis/pictures/gran2.png

when were 1911 refurbished/rebuilt?  if its during Korea, then it could be a rebuilt and who knows whats original on it.

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 2:18:50 PM EDT
[#15]
No GI pistol would have a polished barrel hood.

Theres is however no reason to assume a movie prop gun would be an all original gun of any sort.

It looked close enough to GI for the purpose it served in the movie.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 2:35:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Movie gun.

Either of these would have been a better choice.

[/img]
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 3:01:11 PM EDT
[#17]
I noticed the Garand stacking swivel was goofed up on his Garand

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 3:24:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Seriously, you guys have way too much time on your hands.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 3:27:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Gun talk is never a waste of time.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 3:42:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Theres is however no reason to assume a movie prop gun would be an all original gun of any sort.

This.  I cant believe anyone would chase their tail trying to figure out which brand,vintage or model any gun in any movie is since they are all fake movie props that look very real.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 3:52:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  I cant believe anyone would chase their tail trying to figure out which brand,vintage or model any gun in any movie is since they are all fake movie props that look very real.

I always laugh at the stupid mistakes as far as firearms are concerned in movies.

I expect better from Clint Eastwood, I expect almost nothing from the typical libtard Hollywood director when it comes to firearms.

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 3:56:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Commercial Colt Government Model, pre-Series 70.

ETA: Upon closer inspection it appears to be either an M1911 (not A1), or pre-1923 Commercial Government Model.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 4:11:39 PM EDT
[#23]
HOLLYWOOD PROP GUNS........................
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 4:28:20 PM EDT
[#24]
http://www.imfdb.org/index.php/Gran_Torino       .......... Guns In Movies.com
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 5:25:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I work hard and play hard.
I'm a good father and husband.

Clint Eastwood movies,  Garands,  and 1911 talk are never a waste of my valuable time.

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 6:31:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

To say that all weapons in movies are fake movie props would be a very stupid statement. And if it was so stupid to care about knowing what specific guns were in specific movies, the Smith and Wesson Model 29 would not be as famous and sought after as it is today.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 6:38:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

To say that all weapons in movies are fake movie props would be a very stupid statement. And if it was so stupid to care about knowing what specific guns were in specific movies, the Smith and Wesson Model 29 would not be as famous and sought after as it is today.

And for a lot of the movie a 29 wasn't even used.

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 6:39:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And for a lot of the movie a 29 wasn't even used.

I know that. Thats what happens when you pay attention to the weapons in movies.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 6:44:38 PM EDT
[#29]
The polished barrel throws things off a bit.  

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 6:46:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I noticed the Garand stacking swivel was goofed up on his Garand

http://fataculture.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/gran-torino.jpg

Yea. I also wished they could have used an M1 that had a matching stock and front hand guard. I'm biased toward the Garand. I just want it to be shown off in all its glory. Nevertheless, its a fantastic looking Garand.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 10:32:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Movie prop gun.  Probably started out as a colt commercial model and has been in a Hollywood prop warehouse for decades.

I haven't seen it yet (I know, I'm a slacker), but if he ever fires the gun, it will have been modified to shoot .45 acp blanks, so the shiny barrel could be a blank barrel (stepped down internally to increase recoil so it will operate).
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 12:30:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Movie prop gun.  Probably started out as a colt commercial model and has been in a Hollywood prop warehouse for decades.

I haven't seen it yet (I know, I'm a slacker), but if he ever fires the gun, it will have been modified to shoot .45 acp blanks, so the shiny barrel could be a blank barrel (stepped down internally to increase recoil so it will operate).

Yeah, after a great deal of searching, it seems that there is no such gun as his in real life. You are correct in that it is probably a prop.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 1:48:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, after a great deal of searching, it seems that there is no such gun as his in real life. You are correct in that it is probably a prop.

Re-barreled M1911s don't exits?
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 9:48:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The slide has markings that I have never seen before. I have never seen "Colt" written so far up the ejection port and in such large text. I guess its possible that its just customized heavily enough that it is unrecognizable. I never claimed that re-barreled M1911s don't exist. And I never claimed that I was sure it was a prop gun. All I said was that with a lot of research into all the different Colts that have existed throughout the years, I have not found one that has the same slide markings. As a result, I concluded that it is probably a prop gun. Probably does not mean definitely.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 9:51:46 AM EDT
[#35]
Looks like a USGI prop gun in some pics.

...and a commercial Colt series 70 prop gun in other scenes.

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 12:33:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The slide has markings that I have never seen before. I have never seen "Colt" written so far up the ejection port and in such large text. I guess its possible that its just customized heavily enough that it is unrecognizable. I never claimed that re-barreled M1911s don't exist. And I never claimed that I was sure it was a prop gun. All I said was that with a lot of research into all the different Colts that have existed throughout the years, I have not found one that has the same slide markings. As a result, I concluded that it is probably a prop gun. Probably does not mean definitely.

Large text COLT markings on the slide were seen on several Colt Commercial Models after WWI.

Example can be seen on the 1921 Commcercial in this Gunbroker ad.

What I didn't notice, until you pointed it out, however, was the stampings location in relation to the ejection port - it does look to be more than a 1/4" back from where they're generally located. Whether this is a lesser seen variation or evidence of it being a prop gun, though, I really don't know.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 1:23:54 PM EDT
[#37]
http://www.imfdb.org/index.php/Gran_Torino

^^^^ Check this site out
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 3:03:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Large text COLT markings on the slide were seen on several Colt Commercial Models after WWI.

Example can be seen on the 1921 Commcercial in this Gunbroker ad.

What I didn't notice, until you pointed it out, however, was the stampings location in relation to the ejection port - it does look to be more than a 1/4" back from where they're generally located. Whether this is a lesser seen variation or evidence of it being a prop gun, though, I really don't know.

I guess my research didn't go back as far as guns from the 20's considering that you just proved me wrong. Yet that still seems odd about the stamping location. Though att this point, I'm ready to let the subject rest despite the absence of a definitive confirmation. Thanks for the help guys.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top