Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/15/2009 6:57:08 PM EDT
Are these parts good to go??  I dont know a whole lot about nighthawk custom.  Should i spend more and get a different set??  This would be replacing the stock hammer and sear on my SA mil-spec and it will probobly be taken to the SA custom shop to get fitted.  
Hammer and sear
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:39:21 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a Nighthawk pistol with Nighthawk internals.  They should be as good as anyone else's hardened tool steel parts.

I doubt anyone anywhere has taken parts from each of the big boy custom shops (Wilson, Ed Brown, Les, Nighthawk, etc) and compared the quality of parts directly. I mean a real engineering type comparison, not some joe schmo, regardless of how long he's been doing it or what his name is, looking at the part and saying yay or nay.  That's fine for comparing parts of vastly different quality, but not for comparing parts of nearly identical quality.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:25:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Why not just ask the SA custom shop what they'd recommend for tool steel parts and go with that ....
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:34:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Why not just ask the SA custom shop what they'd recommend for tool steel parts and go with that ....

I'd actually say go with that as well.

SA has tool steel parts they use as part of the action job to get the trigger pull < 4# so you may as well have them use theirs.  As I said, anything at that quality level will be roughly the same quality.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:53:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

SA has tool steel parts they use as part of the action job to get the trigger pull < 4# so you may as well have them use theirs.  As I said, anything at that quality level will be roughly the same quality.

Really?  So if I get an "action job" as it says on their web page, and tell them to make it a 4.5# pull, they will not use the stock parts in my mil-spec anyways??? That would make sense as I am almost positive my mil-spec uses an mim sear hammer and disconnector and from what I hear MIM is not the best when it comes to smithing.

ETA: They want $240 for the action job with their tool steel hammer and sear.  I have two problems with that...  1.) I have no Idea if I will like the looks of their hammer  2.) the action job by itself is $80 for a series 70 1911, so that means you are paying 160 for their hammer and sear.   im sure it is top quality, but the nighthawk custom machined tool steel hammer and sear is 68$ plus shipping from brownells and I like the looks of it and highly doubt that the SA version is $90 "better" than the NC version.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:49:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?  So if I get an "action job" as it says on their web page, and tell them to make it a 4.5# pull, they will not use the stock parts in my mil-spec anyways??? That would make sense as I am almost positive my mil-spec uses an mim sear hammer and disconnector and from what I hear MIM is not the best when it comes to smithing.

ETA: They want $240 for the action job with their tool steel hammer and sear.  I have two problems with that...  1.) I have no Idea if I will like the looks of their hammer  2.) the action job by itself is $80 for a series 70 1911, so that means you are paying 160 for their hammer and sear.   im sure it is top quality, but the nighthawk custom machined tool steel hammer and sear is 68$ plus shipping from brownells and I like the looks of it and highly doubt that the SA version is $90 "better" than the NC version.

In that case, I'd say get the Nighthawk parts yourself and send it in.  I had no idea they were charging that much for their parts.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:51:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In that case, I'd say get the Nighthawk parts yourself and send it in.  I had no idea they were charging that much for their parts.

That is most likely what I will do.  Not sure if I should replace the disconnector with a better one while I am at it though

The one thing that concerns me is that the finish of the nighthawk hammer wont match the rest of my gun exactly.   HMMMMMM..... decisions, decisions.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:30:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That is most likely what I will do.  Not sure if I should replace the disconnector with a better one while I am at it though

The one thing that concerns me is that the finish of the nighthawk hammer wont match the rest of my gun exactly.   HMMMMMM..... decisions, decisions.

I'd go ahead and replace the disconnector too.  Brownell's sells the Nighthawk disconnectors.

You can always have the SA custom shop parkerize the hammer for you (assuming that's what your Mil-Spec is finished in).  I can't imagine they'd charge much for it given how much they charge for parkerizing the whole damned pistol.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:53:27 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm not sure about the NHC hammer and sear sets but these C&S sets seem to be as good as they get.

http://www.cylinder-slide.com/index.php?app=ccp0&ns=prodshow&ref=355
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top