Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/15/2009 3:17:43 PM EDT
Am I the only one that uses the support hand thumb to operate the magazine release on a 1911?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:25:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I am left-handed, so I use either my trigger finger or, more often, my middle finger. However, if I hold a single-stack 1911 in my right hand, I cannot reach the mag release. Holding a Beretta 92, I can just touch the release, but cannot actually push it. The strange thing, though, is that when holding a P14 in my right hand, I can push the mag release just enough to drop the mag.

I guess my answer to your question is that I do not use the support thumb. I use the middle finger when shooting left-handed. Shooting right-handed, I shift my grip and use my thumb.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:48:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, and you should be ashamed of yourself.

Dirty dirty dirty.

If it works for you, doesn't retrict your operation of the pistol , is safe for you and those around you, and gives you additional confidence you could hold the damn gun gangsta style and it would be fine by me.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:21:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Pretty sure Julie Goloski does that.

you can see lots of you-tube videos of her shooting USPSA /  IPSC.

I use my strong hand thumb for the mag,  weak and thumb for the slide stop.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:33:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I started messing around with it about a year ago and I tell you the speed I picked up going from a reload to firing picked up a lot. I guess it all comes down to me not having to shift my grip to touch off the release with my strong hand.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:51:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I started messing around with it about a year ago and I tell you the speed I picked up going from a reload to firing picked up a lot. I guess it all comes down to me not having to shift my grip to touch off the release with my strong hand.

Rob Leatham shifts his grip and hit's it with his strong hand thumb.

...something to think about.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:18:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't do it that way, but am a firm supporter of "whatever works FOR YOU".
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:30:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:53:34 PM EDT
[#8]
"Rob Leatham shifts his grip and hit's it with his strong hand thumb."

Yeah, but I am not Rob Leatham.

Support hand thumb to release the mag catch.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:13:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Does it maintaing your full firing grip? Then it's a good thing.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:26:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is why I do it.  I started doing it with my CZ, and it works just as well on my 1911's.  My big motivating factor is not having to shift my grip in my shooting hand.

I release the mag catch with my support thumb, and release the slide catch with it as well... might be technically "wrong", but it works better for me.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:12:00 AM EDT
[#11]
You aren't the only one, I do the same thing and have for quite some time.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:57:43 AM EDT
[#12]
The big problem with hitting the mag catch with your support thumb is that your support hand is still up there when it should be moving toward your spare mag.

Not a big deal unless you're competing at a certain level.

I can't reach the stock mag catch on my SVI with my strong thumb unless I shift my grip... problem is, the grip is so sticky that shifting my grip is difficult.  I've addressed the problem for now by reinstalling an extended mag catch button.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top