Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2009 1:54:08 PM EDT
I've been wanting to build my own custom 1911 for a while now.  My grandfather was a gunsmith who specialized in 1911's and I fired my first .45 gov't WWII customized to an IPSC comp gun when I was 10.  Ever since I have loved custom 1911's (as well as old pre A1's).  Before I build one from parts I figured the "smart" way to go would be to take an existing gun I have and build it up after tearing it down.  That way, I'd know it worked to begin with.  I have two choices, A springfield basic or an old Colt Gov't model.  This specific thread is in regards to the Colt.  I recently looked up serial numbers to see what age it was having thought that it was a series 70 type pistol and at first look it seems to be just that, then I looked up the frame number.  The frame is stamped No 429xxx which makes me believe it's pre A1.  It's marked United States Property on the (L) side in front of the slide catch. It has AA marked above the trigger guard and SI7 with an unknown mark above it behind the trigger on the frame and 14 or I4 on the trigger guard.  Now for the bummer.....the frame has been dimpled for the grip so it's nostalgic value may be nothing.  The top slide is obviously a later model with bomar sights and the number 7790xxx and the trigger is obviously not standard and appears to be an adjustable aluminum piece.  What are your thoughts on using this gun as my first custom project even if the frame is pre A1?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:02:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:56:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like the perfect candidant for your first project... Go for it..
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:09:30 PM EDT
[#3]
go for it
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top