Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2009 5:31:56 PM EDT
I have a Combat Commander Series 80 pistol,and can get a good condition used top-end from a Government Model.

Will this go on the Commander with no problem,or is it too much of a hassle?

I already know about the Pin-Block system on the 80 series.Is there anything else I should know before attempting this,or should I just buy a full size pistol?
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 5:37:44 PM EDT
[#1]
The front of a Govt slide has a longer spring plug than a Commander. The Commander has a shorter dust cover on the frame. You would need to cut the slide I believe.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 5:41:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I believe that putting a commander top end to the government frame requres relief to the frame. Putting a Government top end on the commander frame (which comes relieved) seems to be an equally problematic propostion. If it works, I wouldn't trust it off the range. My advice is to get a commander top end or sell the frame and get the 5" you want if that's in fact what you want.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 6:11:16 PM EDT
[#3]
a Govt slide fits a govt frame
a commander slide fits a govt frame

a govt slide does NOT fit a commader frame
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:13:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Been there, done that, it's not worth the hassle.  There are too many dimensional differences between the receivers and frames of government models and commander models to make this easily doable.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:14:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Dust cover on the Commander frame is shorter than on the Gov't............Once in place, there would be a gap between the dust cover and the slide of the GM............I believe it would work............but would look like shit..............
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:22:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Actually, no, it will technically fit...

Quoted:
Dust cover on the Commander frame is shorter than on the Gov't............Once in place, there would be a gap between the dust cover and the slide of the GM............I believe it would work............but would look like shit..............

But this happens.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:06:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:10:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:

While it may fit it is dimensionally different.

I was told by a Gunsmith some time ago that it will fit and it will work..........the problem is it will look like shit..........there will be an unsightly gap between the shorter commander dust cover and the Gm slide.......

Years ago......I bought a frame, thinking it was a Gov't model.  The seller told me it was and I took him at his word.  After a couple of hours of lapping a GM slide to the frame I realized he screwed me in his description.  I talked to several builders and they said it would work...........but............It would look like shit!!!

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:22:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:

While it may fit it is dimensionally different.

Government and Commander frames and slides will physically *fit* together in any combination.

Now, "working properly" requires more than just "fitting together".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top